Golf drives for win

The women's golf team is trading in the warm beaches of Puerto Rico for the wind and water of New Orleans.

After a 14th-place finish last week in the Puerto Rico Invitational, the 24th-ranked Tigers will tee off Feb. 27 against LSU, Alabama and a slew of other SEC teams in the All State Sugar Bowl Intercollegiate Championship in New Orleans.

"We won it last year, and we are hoping that'll be a good thing for us," said head coach Kim Evans. "Most of the teams there are ranked in the top 20, so every team is capable of winning."

In last year's tournament, junior Haley Wilson, senior Cydney Clanton and the Tigers played well despite the windy conditions.

"It was pretty windy last year, so we're expecting wind again this year and just getting ready to play in the wind," Wilson said. "You just kind have to work on the different shots and different directory shots while you're out there."

The traditionally windy course gives the Tigers an opportunity to work on all parts of their game.

"Really, it still comes down to a lot of short-game practice," Evans said. "We will try to hit every area of their game--long game, mid-irons, short game and putting."

The English Turn Golf & Country Club course, a par-72, 6,200-yard course, presents many challenges, including water hazards on every hole.

"Last year, I played really well down there," Clanton said. "It's always really good to go back to a golf course you played well at and just experience the competition again against the greatest."

Clanton will bring her lucky footwear back to New Orleans as well .

"I wear alternate shoes," Clanton said. "My right shoe is always orange, and my left shoe is always blue."

Ever since Clanton's freshman year, when she saw a teammate sporting the mismatched shoes, Clanton hasn't played a tournament without them.

Share and discuss “Golf drives for win” on social media.