Reaccreditation survey approaches

Administrators have begun to prepare for evaluation in 2013 by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.

SACS will consider reaffirming Auburn's accreditation, following a new set of standards for reaccreditation.

"Accreditation means that there is a public statement by objective peers of Auburn that we are and continue to be capable of providing effective programs and services that meet agreed-upon requirements," said Drew Clark, chair of the reaffirmation process and director of institutional research and assessment. "It's a complete review of the institution."

Accreditation is mandatory for any institution receiving federal funding, including student loans.

"An institution has to provide evidence that it continues to be in compliance with all the standards that this region has developed for what makes a higher-education institution able to fulfill its mission," Clark said.

SACS will evaluate the academic aspects of the University--the faculty, library and goals for learning advancement, Clark said.

"It also goes to areas that are remote from most students' day-to-day experiences," Clark said.

"They look at our financial statement and our physical facilities. They check to see whether or not the president receives an annual review of his performance from the governing board."

A new requirement for accreditation is the Quality Enhancement Plan. The QEP includes proposing a project intended to enhance student learning in some capacity, as well as showing evidence that the University is capable of carrying out that project.

"Unlike everything else in the accreditation review, it's not a review of something you've already accomplished," Clark said, "but rather a fully developed action plan for a project you are about to launch."

Students, faculty, alumni and employees were able to submit QEP proposals online through Feb. 9.

"We can't just say it is better for the students," said Sushil Bhavnani, professor of mechanical engineering and chair of the QEP Exploratory Committee. "We have to actually document how it improves student learning at Auburn."

The committee, made up of faculty, administrators and students, will call for more detailed versions of select proposals in April.

"In about May, we'll have the list of the three or four best projects to submit to the provost for the administration to then decide which one to pursue," Bhavnani said.

Final documentation of the QEP is due to SACS in January 2013.

If SACS approves the QEP, it will evaluate a progress report of the project in 2018, Clark said.

"I think it's an excellent addition to the requirements for accreditation," said Mary Ellen Mazey, provost and vice president for academic affairs.

"It's a way to bring the campus together to determine how we can improve the learning environment here at Auburn University."

Clark said SACS also offers "recommendations," or suggestions of ways an institution can improve.

"In accreditation speak, a recommendation is a requirement," Clark said. "In other words, if they say, 'We recommend that you do the following,' that means, 'You have to do the following.'"

Mazey said she hopes Auburn receives no recommendations.

"I think that should be our goal--that we have the perfect reaccreditation process," Mazey said.

Universities are considered for accreditation renewal every 10 years.

"In accreditation terms, 2013 really is the day after tomorrow," Clark said, "so we're working hard to be ready for it."

Share and discuss “Reaccreditation survey approaches” on social media.