Gymnastics goes head over heels at home

The 24th ranked Tigers gymnastics team (5-6, 2-4 SEC) looks to close out the regular season with a win as Auburn hosts the Southeast Missouri State Redhawks (8-7, 5-2 MIC) Friday night at 7 p.m.

The Tigers are looking to finish strong at home before traveling to Birmingham for the SEC Championship March 19.

This is also the last regular season game for the Redhawks, who will compete for the Midwest Independent Championship in Cape Girardeau, Mo., March 19.

The Tigers are returning from a five-day road trip, which included two wins against BYU and a close loss to Southern Utah.

After earning their first road win of the season March 4 against BYU, coaches and players say the team is becoming more consistent and is continuing to improve.

The Tigers hit 24-for-24 routines against BYU March 4 and 23-for-24 routines March 7 in the tri-meet against BYU and Southern Utah.

The coaches said they are now focusing on polishing up routines for the next meet.

"Now we're trying to sharpen up the little things," said head coach Jeff Graba. "We want the landings to come together; we want the handstands to hit; we want to look a little bit better at what we're doing."

Graba said he is not underestimating the talent of the Redhawks' squad.

"Southeast Missouri is a very good team," Graba said. "I hope we can do a good job against them. If we do what we did (on Monday), we'll be fine."

After scoring a season high of 195.925 at the last home meet against Pittsburgh Feb. 25, the team seems eager to get back and perform in front of its home crowd.

Junior Kylie Shields, who scored a career-high 39.300 Monday night, said she is ready to return to Auburn Arena and is optimistic about Friday's match.

"I definitely think just being at home with your home crowd where you've got your family and friends there and everyone supporting you, it makes it that much more exciting," Shields said. "We're definitely all excited to end our regular season at home this coming Friday, and hopefully we'll lead the team to another best and put that 195.9 behind and go on to something else, like a 196."

For the Tigers, this is the last chance they have to perform before they compete for the SEC title.

Graba said he plans to stress the importance of this meet to his team.

"It's extremely important," Graba said. "This team was injured most of the first six weeks, so we're a team that's jelling late in the season, so every one of these is important to us.

"One more home game means one more shot at preparing before the SECs."

While there is much excitement surrounding the Tigers' last home game, the sadness has begun to sink in for the seniors that will compete in their last match in Auburn Arena.

Seniors Lauren Brzostowski, Katie Hurley, Rachel Inniss and Leah Vining will be honored for Senior Night.

"For me, it's like a big farewell, and I will probably cry," said Inniss. "Auburn has given me opportunities that I wouldn't have gotten if I went somewhere else, and I am just so thankful.

"I love performing and being able to wear Auburn and represent them."

Shields said while it will be sad to see these seniors go, she is excited about seeing their last performances.

Share and discuss “Gymnastics goes head over heels at home” on social media.