Lockhart sentenced to death

LOCKHART
LOCKHART

Courtney Lockhart, convicted of the March 4, 2008, capital murder of 18-year-old Auburn student Lauren Burk, was sentenced to death by lethal injection Wednesday.

On Nov. 18, 2010, a jury unanimously recommended a sentence of life without the possibility of parole.

Wednesday, Judge Jacob Walker III heard arguments from both sides before deciding to override the jury's decision and give Lockhart the death penalty, flooding the court with emotion from the families of both parties.

"My reaction was happiness, and I was not surprised," said Jim Burk, Lauren's father. "As I said when I was on the stand, any parent that went through what we went through, losing a daughter like we did, there is no way if a person is a human being, they would want anything other than the death penalty for the person that murdered their child."

Walker said he came to his conclusion after weighing evidence and precedent that was not made available to the jury during the trial.

For his sentencing, Walker was allowed to consider additional crimes committed by Lockhart, including five robberies, firing a weapon at police and attempting a kidnapping all around the time of Lauren's death.

At Wednesday's sentencing, four members of the Burk family addressed the court with impact statements, including Lauren's father, who said he wished Lockhart's daughter would never have to experience anything similar.

"I'm sorry for your family, but don't bring my daughter into this," Lockhart said in an outburst.

"I wish you didn't bring my daughter into it," Jim said.

At these reactions, the court took a recess before reconvening for sentencing.

While the defense argued the unanimous decision by the jury was reason enough to dismiss the death penalty, the prosecution relied on Lockhart's intent and emotional appeal as they reconstructed the way he waited for someone to target.

"This offense was prolonged and unnecessarily cruel," said District Attorney Robbie Treese. "Her heart is still here with the people behind me, and we ask this court to give this case the weight it is due."

In a video confession shown during the trial, Lockhart, of Smith's Station, confessed he held Lauren at gunpoint and demanded money as she was getting into her Honda Civic, parked near the Hill residence halls.

When Lauren screamed, Lockhart said he made her get into the passenger seat of her vehicle, and he began to drive.

During the ride, Lockhart said he made Lauren take her clothes off to prevent her from leaving the vehicle.

Lockhart said he shot Lauren when she tried to jump from the vehicle on North College Street.

He then drove to the Chevron gas station on South College Street and Glenn Avenue, doused the inside of the car in gasoline and lit it on fire in the parking lot where he found Lauren.

Police arrested Lockhart March 7, 2008, on Summerville Road in Phenix City after a two to three mile chase.

Because of Lockhart's death penalty sentence, the case will receive an automatic appeal.

Armstrong said because they were denied a change of venue, they feel good about the appeal.

"I hope everyone heard he did apologize to Mr. Burk and the entire family," Armstrong said. "That is something that he has not been able to express due to legal reasons."

While the Burk family said they are happy with the sentence, they are unable to forget or express the pain they've experienced.

"She was a person that would reach out to people who needed help," Jim said. "She was an angel. There was so much to her that hasn't even been touched upon because of her life being cut short."

Although they know the sentence will not bring her back, Wednesday brought some closure for the Burk family.

"I know Lauren is watching us from heaven, and I know she is smiling right now," Jim said.

Share and discuss “Lockhart sentenced to death” on social media.