Professor provides global perspective

Samia Spencer, native Egyptian, is a professor of French. (contributed by samia spencer)

For Samia Spencer, professor of French, the joy of teaching lies in sharing the world with her students.

"I teach French culture--my academic background is in French literature, 18th century--but I have really developed an interest in so many other areas," Spencer said. "For example, I have taught courses on women in France. I have taught courses on French fashion. I'm currently teaching a course on Bon Appetit, the gourmet culture of France."

Spencer began her career at Auburn in 1972. She said she always knew French was her calling.

"I was born in Egypt at a time when French was a very important language," Spencer said. "I grew up in the city of Alexandria, which was a multicultural city, where I grew up listening to French, English, Turkish, Arabic, Armenian, Greek, Italian, and I went to French school because at that time French schools were the best schools in Egypt."

Spencer received her bachelor's degree from Alexandria University and went on to get her master's and her Ph.D. in French from the University of Illinois.

Although teaching has been her passion for over 30 years, Spencer said it was not her original calling.

"You know, it just came gradually," Spencer said. "When I was growing up, I don't know that I ever thought that I wanted to be a teacher, but it was a natural progression when I got a master's degree in French and a Ph.D. in French. I was so excited about what I was learning, it would be wonderful to share that passion with students, so that's what I like to do."

Before she turned to teaching, Spencer worked for the United Nations, an experience to which she attributes her interest in international affairs.

"I worked for the World Health Organization, for the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations," Spencer said. "I worked for UNDP--United Nations Development Program--so I have some interesting views on international affairs, and that's really what makes me so interested in international matters and views, and I'd like to communicate that to my students."

Now, Spencer expresses her interest in global issues by promoting women's leadership and organizing various conferences and events on campus.

"I invite a lot of distinguished guest speakers to campus," Spencer said. "For example, I'm hoping to bring one of the senators from Canada, the one who represents Quebec, next fall, and next spring I'm also planning to invite the author of the book that I'm currently using on the gourmet culture of France so she can tell us how we can teach foreign language using not just French, but Spanish, German, Italian, but focusing on one of the important cultural aspects of the country, which is the food culture."

Spencer said she hopes the guest speakers she brings to campus will excite her students about global issues.

"I'm hoping to bring some of my former students who are in higher places and bring them back to be a model for our students and to see what they can achieve," Spencer said.

Although Spencer said she could retire if she wished, she enjoys her work too much to stop.

"I enjoy teaching, and I love my research, so that's why I continue to work even though I could retire at this point," Spencer said. "I do some exciting things, and just life is too much fun."

Share and discuss “Professor provides global perspective” on social media.