Runners strain joints to ease joint pain

Arthritis hits close to home for the women of Alpha Omicron Pi sorority, who will host a 5K April 2 in the name of arthritis research.

"When I was 18 months old I was diagnosed with juvenile rheumatoid arthritis," said Hillary Barber, sophomore in prepharmacy and AOII philanthropy chair. "When you're really young, it is hard to explain to your peers why you cannot participate in every game of tag or dodgeball on the playground because your bones hurt too much."

The AOII Foundation supports the Arthritis Foundation, based in Atlanta, that supports research on more than 100 types of arthritis, according to its website.

The run is $15 and includes a T-shirt and four spirit points.

Supporters can buy a T-shirt for $10 and receive two spirit points.

The 5K is open to all students, faculty and members of the community who want to participate.

The women of AOII will be promoting the event on the concourse to reach as many people as possible, Barber said.

AOII hosts events throughout the year to benefit arthritis research, such as the "Panda Project" which gives stuffed animals to children suffering from juvenile arthritis, Barber said.

"I feel arthritis is an illness that is many times overlooked because it isn't always viewed as a fatal diagnosis, but it plagues more lives than most realize," Barber said.

The sorority has been working to publicize the event around campus and the community, said Kayla Ketron, sophomore in marketing and AOII vice president of communication.

Barber said philanthropy events are great ways for Auburn's sororities to support one another.

"I also love how competitive rivalries among the Greek community seem to halt so we can support each other's philanthropy event," Barber said.

As a sign of unity, women in other sororities will be participating.

"I think it is important to support the philanthropies of other sororities because it is all going to a great cause," said Bridget Eyler, sophomore in hotel and restaurant management.

"I will definitely be running in this event because it is fun and supports a great cause."

Ketron said almost everyone on Auburn's campus has been personally affected or knows some one who is affected by arthritis.

"This philanthropy should be important to a large majority of (students)," Ketron said.

AOII will have a table on the concourse from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. every day during the week prior to the event.

"It is very easy to justify college as a time to focus on ourselves and all the chaos in our lives surrounding school," Barber said.

Share and discuss “Runners strain joints to ease joint pain” on social media.