Swim team provides exercise, hope

A participant of the Lee County Special Olympics swim team practices at the Opelika Sportsplex and Aquatics Center. (Rebekah Weaver / assistant photo editor)

The Lee County Special Olympics swim team helps children with disabilities develop teamwork, compete in swim meets and overcome limitations.

"It's just incredible to be around the athletes," said John Huling, employee of the Opelika Sportsplex and Aquatics Center. "They have a passion for life I can't describe."

The program is organized by the City of Opelika Parks and Recreation Department.

The team was formed in 2009 to provide another opportunity for athletes with special needs in the community.

Prior to 2009, several Special Olympics teams existed for other sports, but not swimming.

Huling said besides providing good exercise, the team offers a social forum for the athletes to meet other athletes from around the state, make new friends, travel and see new places.

Participation in the program builds the athletes' self-esteem and encourages them to set and achieve goals and reach their personal best, Huling said.

Huling said the athletes' families have an important role in the program--they give their time to the team and help any time they can.

The families form special bonds and rally around and support each other since they face the same challenges of caring for special needs children, Huling said.

The swim team competed in the Special Olympics Sectional swim meet Saturday at the Opelika Sportsplex and Aquatics Center.

"The athletes have worked really hard, so when they have a chance to compete, they get fired up," Huling said. "It's fun to watch them swim and to be around the families."

Huling said the swim team is lucky to have several volunteers who make the program possible for the children.

"It's a neat experience to watch all of the different physically-impaired athletes get in the water and come alive," said John Barron of Opelika.

Barron's daughter Dorsey won second place for the 50-meter freestyle and 50-meter backstroke events.

"Participating in it is such a great outlet for her," said Dorsey's mother, Lou Barron.

Lou praised the event's coordination.

"I am proud to be a part of a community that hosts such an event as this," she said.

Virginia Waldrip, parent of one of the athletes, said the program builds the confidence of children who are disabled.

She said the positive team environment swimming provides is encouraging to her son, John.

David Waldrip, John's father, said swimming on the team improves his son's muscle tone.

He said he thinks swimming also improves John's performance in the band at his school.

David said the swim team staff, and Huling in particular, worked with John's schedule and made it possible for him to play in the band and swim on the team.

The team practices for one hour every Monday.

"They swim a lot of laps," said Mandy Johnson, Sportsplex aquatics director. "It keeps them in good shape."

Athletes with different levels of abilities participate on the team.

Athletes with limited range of motion walk across the pool or swim with the assistance of a flotation device, while athletes with more mobility swim the length of the pool without assistance.

"It's fun to watch them improve from year to year," Johnson said.

"Expressions of a Brave Heart" is another therapeutic program initiated by Angie Burque, assistant clinical professor in the Auburn University Social Work Program.

The program is offered by the Department of Opelika Parks and Recreation.

It provides art, music and dance lessons to youth and young adults with moderate to severe disabilities.

The Department of Opelika Parks and Recreation is a leisure service provider that promotes wellness within the community with its events and programs.

The Opelika Sportsplex and Aquatics Center provides a pool, splash center, fitness center, an adult activity center and other programs and activities.

Share and discuss “Swim team provides exercise, hope” on social media.