The happiness of having No Impact

Reducing carbon footprints, trash generation, energy and water usage help the environment, but also bring happiness, according to the principles behind Auburn's first No Impact Week March 23-30.

The week is hosted by the College of Liberal Arts' Community and Civic Engagement Initiative and is designed to reduce carbon footprints.

Anyone can participate, and the most active personnel and student from the College of Liberal Arts will be acknowledged at the annual CLA award ceremony March 31.

"We hope this project will raise awareness among students about sustainability practices and resources on or off campus," said Jessica Dewberry, CLA graduate and Community and Civic Engagement fellow, who helped plan the event.

The idea behind No Impact Week was developed by Colin Beavan, an environmental activist, who spent a year living a lifestyle that reduced his carbon footprint to zero.

Beavan made a movie, "No Impact Man," wrote a book and published a blog about the experience and has since started the No Impact Project, whose mission is "to empower citizens to make choices which better their lives and lower their environmental impact through lifestyle change, community action and participation in environmental politics."

"It is Colin's mission to engage citizens, on an individual and collective level, in choosing ways of life that are healthier and happier for individuals, for our society and for our planet," Dewberry said.

As part of No Impact Week, Beavan will be on campus March 24 to speak and sign copies of his book in Student Center Ballroom A at 5 p.m.

"We are excited and honored to host Colin Beavan on our campus," Dewberry said, "(He) has encouraged tens of thousands to examine their lives to discover what's really important to them."

Each day of the week is focused on a different aspect of living sustainably, including transportation, energy, food and water, and includes free events like "swap tables" March 25 and a field trip to Randle Farms March 28.

"My hope is that this one-week carbon cleanse will challenge individuals to make as little impact possible on our natural resources," said Giovanna Summerfield, director of arts and faculty initiatives in the College of Liberal Arts and organizer of No Impact Week. "This week may give each one of us the chance to see what a difference no impact living can have on our quality of life."

Share and discuss “The happiness of having No Impact” on social media.