Tigers host Rebels in home finale

Junior forward Kenny Gabriel dunks the ball against Arkansas senior guard Marcus Britt during Saturday's 57-55  loss. (Christen Harned / Assistant Photo Editor)
Junior forward Kenny Gabriel dunks the ball against Arkansas senior guard Marcus Britt during Saturday's 57-55 loss. (Christen Harned / Assistant Photo Editor)

The Auburn men's basketball team faces Louisiana State University (11-8, 3-11) in the season finale March 5 in Baton Rouge, La.

"LSU is another team we struggled with in our first conference game of the year, but we have gotten progressively better, and so have they, like most teams have at this time of the year," said head coach Tony Barbee.

The match between the two Tigers will be a precursor to the SEC tournament.

"We want to do well in that game so we can go into the SEC tournament with momentum," said freshman forward Allen Payne.

Auburn has been outscored 1746 to 1858 this season and has struggled in the rebounding aspect of the game, carrying a negative 1.3 margin.

"We struggled a little bit this year, but I think it's a good game for us because if we win that game, we get our confidence up and hopefully go on a run in the SEC tournament," Payne said.

Sophomore guard Josh Wallace said LSU played zones well in the last game against Auburn.

"I believe we have come along in attacking zones and in knowing what to look for," Wallace said. "We know what we need to do offensively, and we just need to keep up the intensity defensively. I believe we're going to be prepared for them."

The Bayou Bengals slumped into a 10-game losing streak following a 56-53 win against Arkansas and were unable to break it until a 84-82 win Feb. 5 against Mississippi State.

LSU has been outscored by its opponents, but has the upper hand in assists.

The team is also averaging 13.7 free throws, 35.2 rebounds and 14.4 turnovers per game, as well as 177 steals and 102 blocks, but have yet to win a home game this season.

Wallace said Auburn has improved their defense every game.

"We've come along slowly but surely offensively," Wallace said. "We just have to get better every day with every practice and every game.

"Hopefully we can get this win and carry it into the SEC."

Auburn almost defeated Arkansas in a nail-biter Feb. 26 at the Auburn Arena.

Junior forward Kenny Gabriel shot a game-tying layup with 29 seconds left before Arkansas scored with just five seconds left on the clock.

Before matching up with the Bayou Bengals, Auburn hosts Ole Miss (18-11, 6-8) in the last home game of the season.

Share and discuss “Tigers host Rebels in home finale” on social media.