You've been warned

Jaywalkers could receive more than just dirty looks from drivers next week.

As part of the second annual Travel With Care campaign April 4-8, public safety officials will be giving verbal warnings to those violating laws that pertain to transportation safety.

"We will be targeting different areas each day," said Capt. Tommy Carswell of the Auburn Police Division. "For example, one of the days we will focus on jaywalking and properly using crosswalks."

Carswell said tickets would only be given if a major violation is committed.

A partnership between the University and the city, Travel With Care is aimed at promoting safe behaviors and courtesy when walking, driving, bicycling or using the transit system.

"We're trying to clarify the laws to allow people to better understand what the laws are," said traffic engineer Brandy Ezell.

From 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., stations will be set up on campus and around the city with police and volunteers handing out free safety gear and information, as well as giving several talks on transportation safety.

Reflective lights, LED lights and other safety gear will be given out on the concourse during the week.

Travel With Care will also run PSAs on radio stations with safety tips and reminders.

Students and residents are asked to wear white April 6 in observance of friends or relatives who have been injured in transportation related accidents.

Kickoff for the campaign will be held Monday at 2 p.m. on Samford Lawn where Mayor Bill Ham, President Jay Gouge and Sheriff Jay Jones will encourage students to remember to use safety precautions with all means of transportation.

More information on the Travel With Care campaign can be found on the campaign's website, which includes safety guidelines, statistics, web links and a quiz to test safety knowledge.

"We want to remind students, wherever you go, go safely," Ezell said.

Share and discuss “You've been warned” on social media.