A closer look at public safety

Chief of Police Tommy Dawson, Fire Chief Lee Lamar, Public Safety Director Bill James and Communications Administrator Benjie Walker listen during a Public Safety meeting Thursday. Each of their departments will lead a session explaining its duties. (Rebekah Weaver / ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR)

Shooting guns, making life or death decisions and negotiating hostage situations aren't part of everyday life for most people, but now, for a limited time, they can be.

The 2011 Citizens Public Safety Academy kicked off its 10th year in session March 31 in the municipal courtroom on Ross Street.

"People that come will get a better understanding of how and why city government does what is does and who to contact when certain issues arise," said Capt. Tommy Carswell of the Auburn Police Division.

All sessions are free and open to the public, with seven classes meeting Thursday from 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. at the Ross Street location and two Saturday from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at alternate locations.

Participants will learn about each division of public safety: administration, police, fire, communications and building and fire inspections.

Jerri Ernest, president of the Auburn Citizens Public Safety Alumni group, has completed the Public Safety Academy several times.

Ernest said one of her favorite classes is the "shoot or don't shoot" class.

"They have a big video up there, and something will happen and you have to decide whether or not to shoot or don't shoot," Ernest said. "It makes you realize these police officers have to make a split decision, and if they hesitate in any way they can get killed."

Ernest said the drug class by the narcotics officers, polygraph testing, police ride-alongs and the trip to the shooting range are other highlights.

"The night that we go up to see the communications is a lot of fun because you see how fast they have to work between getting the phone calls and locating somebody on the map and getting somebody there--there's so much pressure involved in that," Ernest said.

She said the class not only informs people about how the different aspects of the city government work, but participants also learn techniques to keep themselves safer.

Bill James, public safety director, said although the program involves a time commitment, participants have found the program worthwhile and interesting.

"We had a lady who was in her 70s--maybe close to 80--who had never shot a gun before and got out there and starting shooting shotguns and a fully-automatic machine gun, and she was just having a blast," James said.

"To see that from somebody who has never done anything like that before is just a lot of fun."

The academy will also have mock hostage negotiations and crime scenes, firearm safety, fire prevention and SWAT and canine demonstrations.

"What you'll learn over the nine classes that you participate in is a little bit about each division, what they do and why they do it," James said. "A lot of times when people have interactions with departments in the city, there's a rule you don't quite understand, but really there is a method to the madness."

James said it's not too late to sign up and participate, and people can come to individual classes if they can't commit to the whole program.

Citizens who complete the entire academy will receive a certificate of completion and CPR certification.

Interested individuals can call the Public Safety Academy at 334-501-3110 for more information.

Share and discuss “A closer look at public safety” on social media.