Opelika City Council votes to issue electric revenue warrants

Opelika City Council swiftly approved several resolutions in a brief meeting Tuesday.

During citizen communications, Tipi Miller, director of Keep Opelika Beautiful, invited the council and all the audience members to join them for a city-wide clean-up Saturday.

"Civic groups, families, individuals and businesses will be joining us on Saturday morning at 9 a.m. to clean up parts of the city," Miller said.

She brought trash bags, fliers and gloves to promote the event and passed them out to all the council members.

The council voted unanimously to issue electric revenue warrants of approximately $28 million, the interest of which the city will be paying until 2036.

The electric warrants are for a smart grid and rewiring of an administration building.

A request to demolish a house at 1113 Lake St. was brought to the council after fifteen months of stalling renovations.

After some confusion about the grace period for the house's owner to appeal to a circuit court, the council approved the demolition request unanimously.

Also approved during the meeting was a request for a Garden in the Park banner from Keep Opelika Beautiful. This event will take place March 26.

On the Tracks, an annual food and wine event, will take place April 15. Its request for a city ordinance was approved Tuesday.

The council also approved a purchase of property at 210 and 212 S. 7th St. from Circo Inc. for city purposes. The land the council approved purchase of is adjacent to city hall.

Share and discuss “Opelika City Council votes to issue electric revenue warrants” on social media.