Residents prepare to 'move it, move it'

photo illustration by Maria Iampietro / ASSOCIATE PHOTO EDITOR

Let's face it--moving out is hard work.

Summer is on the horizon and lugging around furniture is not what most of us have in mind.

"The most difficult part of moving out will be hauling all of my possessions from the third floor to a car in the parking lot in numerous trips," said Jared Batte, junior in agricultural economics and resident assistant in Talon Hall in the Village.

He isn't taking everything home, though.

Batte said he will be moving all of his belongings out for summer and storing everything at his grandmother's house in LaGrange, Ga. Because he lives on campus, he doesn't have much furniture to move out.

"Instead, I just have to move lots of smaller things," Batte said.

Batte said he's not worried about the amount of time it will take him to move out.

"It's more of a problem that I have five finals and then have to move out the very next day," Batte said. "That will be somewhat stressful."

More likely than not it will be hot outside, too, but Elene Weaver, freshman in pre-industrial design and resident in Dunn Hall, is not too worried about moving out of her dorm in the heat.

"It was raining on move-in day, and we got settled in fine," Weaver said.

Weaver said parking probably will be a problem though.

"I was planning on pulling my car up to the 15-minute spot and go from there," Weaver said.

Katelyn Boston, sophomore in biosystems engineering and resident in Magnolia Hall in the Village, said parking is always a problem.

"Since I am not under a time constraint, we will just wait until the majority of people have already moved out and then do so," Boston said.

Boston will be moving to the Quad for the summer as a part of her Camp War Eagle counselor responsibilities and then into a house in the fall.

She said she will be able to leave her stuff in her room in the Village until she moves to the Quad so she won't be moving out with the other Village residents.

"Having to decide what to take there and what to take home will be difficult, especially since I haven't lived in the Quad before," Boston said.

Boston's biggest concern about moving is lack of help.

"My younger brother plays high school soccer," Boston said. "He may be playing in the Final Four Tournament the weekend I am supposed to move into the Quad, so my parents wouldn't be there to help."

Mitchell Holston, junior in marketing, lives in the Exchange.

He doesn't anticipate his parents coming to help him move out.

"Whoever can help really," Holston said. "Probably friends."

Holston's apartment in the Exchange is furnished--the bed, dresser and desk was provided.

"I will be moving my TV--that's the biggest item--and my TV stand," Holston said.

Holston also said he will be moving a large amount of clothes.

"I have way too many clothes," Holston said.

Holston said his biggest concern is where he will go once he moves out.

"I currently don't have any concrete living plans for next year," Holston said.

"It's kinda scary at this point but hopefully I will find an apartment to move into this fall."

The general consensus is that everyone is ready to be out of their dorms for the summer.

"One year is enough in these dorms," Weaver said.

However, Boston said she will miss her roommates and sorority sisters over the summer.

"But I am very ready to be out of the dorm and ready to be in a house in August," Boston said.

Mattie Magill, freshman in pre-early childhood education, said she enjoyed her experience on campus this year, though.

"I liked living in the dorm this year," Magill said. "It was a great way to meet people, and I think it is just a part of the whole freshman experience in itself."

Regardless of whether students are looking forward to moving out or not, doing the work to move everything is difficult.

Holston said he may try to do something to make his move fun.

"I guess I could sing while I'm moving," he said.

Share and discuss “Residents prepare to 'move it, move it'” on social media.