Studying to help improve the environment

As the debate about the Earth's fate circulates around the nation, environmental science majors are taking the initiative to learn about what they can do to help the environment.

Wes Wood, agronomy and soils professor, said the students who graduate from environmental science are well-trained and will have opportunities to serve society through environmental consulting firms, the government or private corporations.

"I enjoy teaching environmental science students because they are enthusiastic and highly motivated," Wood said.

Sara Geonczy, freshman in environmental science, said she is curious about the relationship of the natural world and humans.

"I feel that this relationship may be the most important relationship to consider," Geonczy said. "It determines and will continue to determine the success of our human race."

Geonczy said she believes the future of humankind may depend on how we decide to move forward in managing energy, food and water.

"Whether we are able to tackle the increasing degradation of our home will be a true test of human cooperation and ingenuity," Geonczy said.

Scott Bolch, senior in environmental science, chose his major because of its interdisciplinary studies of chemistry, biology and geology.

"During my time in the program, I have become interested in the various aspects of groundwater geochemistry, specifically groundwater remediation," Bolch said. "I've been seeking employment as an environmental consultant and hope to work with remediation of oil and chemical leaks, as well as geothermal energy sources."

Geonczy said she also found environmental science interesting because of its mission-oriented field.

"Environmental science is also very broad in nature," Geonczy said. "I enjoyed getting a taste of all the different sciences and seeing how they interconnect and complement each other."

Share and discuss “Studying to help improve the environment” on social media.