Surviving the stress of semester's final stretch

In the final push to the end of the semester, fatigue is bound to set in. With final exams approaching, students need to know how to keep their energy levels up to finish strong this semester.

Bill Jackson, associate director of campus recreation for lifetime wellness and fitness, said being physically fit can help you accomplish more in your day.

"If you're more fit, that means your body has adapted to doing higher levels of work," Jackson said. "The more fit you are, the more you can do without becoming fatigued."

However, Jackson said this appearance of increased energy will not happen immediately. If you are not used to working out, and then you decide to run a mile, you can except to feel more tired than energetic. Increased energy from working out is an effect over a period of time.

"But energy, too, is related to appropriate nutrition," Jackson said. "If you're getting the wrong types of food, or you're not getting the right type of food in your body to give you energy, regardless of how fit you are, you're going to feel fatigued."

Suresh Mathews, professor of nutrition, explained some ways students can structure diets and stay more energetic.

"The primary thing is make sure you get plenty of fruits (and) vegetables," Mathews said. "You have so many vitamins there, and these vitamins--some of them--would help you overcome fatigue and things like that."

Jan King, registered nurse at the Auburn University Medical Clinic, also stressed the importance of healthy eating.

"If they're eating junk, it's not going to help them at all," she said.

In addition to quality eating, quantity eating should also be a consideration.

"I would definitely not overeat," Mathews said. "That can put you off to sleep in no matter of time."

Of course, when it comes to sleeping, King said that is still the best way to keep your energy up.

"If you're tired during the day, the first thing you've got to ask yourself: Are you getting enough sleep at night?" Jackson said.

"Typically what I see with people that get fatigued or get tired during the day is more related to lack of sleep or improper sleep than it is to lack of fitness."

King said they discourage people from using caffeine as a replacement for sleep.

"That's just going to get their caffeine levels up; it's going to get their heart racing, and sometimes that makes it even worse," King said. "It's a quick fix, but in the long run, there's absolutely nothing healthy about it.

"You'll feel great--jazzed a little bit when you're doing it--but when it wears off you're going to come crashing down."

Mathews said water is the drink of choice if you're concerned about energy and health.

"Drink water, plenty of water, because you don't want to be dehydrated," Mathews said. "Just to help you focus, just being hydrated helps."

Although Mathews and King both stressed healthy eating, you don't always have to give up your favorite treat to stay awake.

"Things like cookies are...like a comfort food," Mathews said.

"Sometimes students may find some kind of comfort, you know, getting that cookie...If that is something, if they want that sort of comfort or something, chocolate or something, it doesn't hurt."

Share and discuss “Surviving the stress of semester's final stretch” on social media.