Wedding bells vs. job offers

Whit Winford, senior in building science, and Kelly Gfeller, junior in management information systems, try to make their relationship work while Winford finds a job and Gfeller continues to go to school. (Christen Harned/ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR)

Diplomas and internships aren't the only thing on seniors' minds as spring approaches.

Wedding bells are in the future for many students, and along with the stress of planning a wedding, newly-engaged couples are also faced with finding jobs.

Whit Winford, senior in building science, and Kelly Gfeller, senior in management information systems, are one of the many couples at Auburn facing this problem.

Winford will graduate in August and Gfeller in the fall, and like many couples, living as close as possible to one another is an important factor.

"I am planning to accept a job offer with a construction company in Birmingham," Winford said. "While she is in school, I plan to live at home and set as much money back as I can before we get married."

Jamie Sailors, professor of human development and family studies, said a lot of the decisions made by newly-engaged students depend on each partner's career goals, personal values and economics.

Some of the factors include if they can afford to live on one income or whose job opportunity will bring in the most income.

"In terms of living together, we see statistically that more couples are negotiating 'commuter relationships,'" Sailors said. "This is where partners may live in different locations and see each other on weekends, or whenever they can negotiate travel arrangements."

For Winford and Gfeller, it's important to begin their life as husband and wife in the same city.

"We are planning on getting married this February for several reasons," Winford said. "We don't want to get married before Kelly graduates and start our lives as newlyweds living in two different cities. Getting married in February will allow enough time for Kelly to focus on exams in December and use the remaining time to make final wedding plans and living arrangements in Birmingham."

Brittany Neal, senior in nursing, and Jason Wright, building science graduate, have also had to juggle one partner being in school while the other works.

Neal, who now attends the University of South Alabama, decided to make the move from Auburn to Daphne where her fiancee Wright lives and works.

"I found myself driving four hours to Daphne and four hours back to Auburn every single weekend," Neal said. "When I got engaged, I still had another year to finish school so I decided that transferring and living in Daphne would be the best for our relationship."

Share and discuss “Wedding bells vs. job offers” on social media.