Women's golf takes SEC title at home, finishing 11 strokes ahead of second-place Alabama

The women's golf team poses with the SEC Championship trophy after winning the title at home Sunday. The Tigers finished 11 strokes ahead of second-place Alabama. (Leffie Dailey / Auburn Media Relations)

The season isn't finished for the women's golf team.

After a weekend victory at the SEC Women's Golf Championship, next is the NCAA Regional Championships.

The NCAA Regional Championships will be held May 5-7 at golf courses in Daytona Beach, Fla., South Bend, Ind., and Auburn, Wash.

The competition will consist of the 24 top-ranked teams in the country and will determine which teams will compete in the national tournament.

The golf team expects to see the competition come out in regionals, and the team has an idea of a few teams to look out for.

The women's team collegiate rankings puts UCLA, Southern California and Alabama in the top three positions.

Auburn comes in at No. 12.

"The scariest teams we play will be UCLA, Alabama of course, Arizona State, Arizona, USC and Purdue," said junior Patricia Sanz.

Last weekend at the SEC Championships, Sanz's score of 67 set the Auburn record for low round in an SEC Championship.

Marta Silva of UGA ranks No. 1 in the women's collegiate individual standings, followed by Lizette Salas and Lisa McCloskey of USC.

Auburn is ranked No. 12 in women's collegiate individuals with senior Cydney Clanton.

"I am very happy with our performance; it was a team effort," Clanton said, "It is a great way to start the postseason."

Clanton was the top Tiger at the SEC tournament this weekend, finishing in third place in the 60-player. Her 54-hole score was 214, or two under par.

Coming off of the SEC Championship win, Auburn expects the best for regionals and nationals.

"I think this team wanted it so bad, and all year I've been working together to piece some great tournaments," said head coach Kim Evans. "They decided that they were going to put their head in it, mainly their heart, and pulled it off."

According to Sanz, confidence should not be an issue, as every player prepares to give it their all.

"Every single player in our team is going to bring it for nationals," Sanz said. "We started the season slow, but now we found some momentum that we are going to carry through regionals and nationals. We are all going to bring it."

Auburn looks to bring experience to the tournament with a team that returns four starters.

"We have been very positive lately, and the fact that we have a really experienced team will help us. We have four returners from last year that have played in regionals and nationals," Clanton said. "I think as long as we stay patient and just play our games it will be a successful week."

The golf team is preparing for regionals at its home course at the Auburn University Golf Club, where the SEC Championships were held.

"We are doing the same we do for every tournament. We work hard every day, and we stay positive and committed to our work," Sanz said.

The golf team hopes to represent the Auburn motto for the upcoming regionals.

"The strength about Auburn golf team is that we are all in," Sanz said. "We are a family, and we are all working with the same objective: be the best we can be out there."

Share and discuss “Women's golf takes SEC title at home, finishing 11 strokes ahead of second-place Alabama” on social media.