Humane Society Kicks Off Feline Frenzy

Stacee Peer loves on cat looking for adoption. (Alex Sager / PHOTO EDITOR)

Lee County Humane Society is holding it's first Feline Frenzy June 1-30 in honor of Adopt-A-Cat month, during which adoption fees will be waived for cats four months and older.

"We've always celebrated Adopt-A-Cat month at the shelter," said Stacee Peer, public relations director at LCHS. "It's really to bring attention to the fact the we get so many cats during the summer months. Cats are overlooked at the shelter."

Peer said that because the shelter has nearly four times as many dog adoptions than cat adoptions, this is a perfect opportunity to freely invest in a feline friend.

"If money has ever been an issue, or people have ever had a few hesitations to spotlight our cats," Peer said, "this gives people a chance to know more about them and come in and have one free of an adoption charge."

All of the cats available for adoption are spayed or neutered, and have received their first FVRCP shot, which is the basic feline shot aiding prevention from common cat diseases. Tanya Hayes, LCHS animal heath coordinator, said that the cats are kept on a close watch prior to their adoption.

"The ones we have up for adoption are cats that go straight to cat-holding when they come in, where they are monitored for at least a week," Hayes said. "If they look healthy, we can move them straight to adoption, but strays are held for a week to monitor a break of any diseases or problems."

Hayes said that those who are interested in adopting can first check out the humane society's website, leecountyhumane.org, to see if there is a cat in which they are interested. Applications for adopting can be obtained online or at the LCHS. In order to adopt you must have a valid government-issued identification and be at least 19 years old.

"We recommend that if you rent your home, you go ahead and pay your pet deposits, because we will send a letter to landlords to let them know their tenant has a new addition to their home," Peer said. "We also recommend that any of your pets at home are up to date on their vaccinations, and that you are taking care of them and have a good relationship with a vet."

LCHS offers brochures and knowledge on the cats to those who are unfamiliar with being a feline-owner.

"In our adoption process, we have packets that go over common questions that come up with adopting a cat, such as scratching, playing with toys, litter box issues, etc.," LCHS Spay/Neuter Coordinator Jordyn Williams said. "A lot of our staff members really like cats and own them, and can provide even more in-depth information."

LCHS requires all cats to leave in a cardboard crate or carrier, which can be purchased at the shelter for $5.

"We have a lot of college students come in, and that's also who are volunteers are, so we are very fortunate to have a good relationship with the university community," Peer said. "We hope that those here for the summer will take advantage this opportunity."

Share and discuss “Humane Society Kicks Off Feline Frenzy” on social media.