Building talent earns award

Professors Paul Holley (left) and Joshua Emig started the joint graduate program linking the schools of building science and architecture. (Christen Harned / ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR)

The College of Architecture, Design and Construction's efforts to raise a new generation of architects haven't gone unnoticed.

Paul Holley, professor in the McWhorter School of Building Science, and Joshua Emig, assistant professor in the School of Architecture, Planning and Landscape Architecture, will receive the Design-Build Institute of America's Distinguished Design-Build Leadership Award at the organization's conference and exposition in Orlando Oct. 20.

The DBIA was established in 1993 and advocates an integrated form of design and construction.

The organization believes the two services should be offered under one contract with a single responsible party.

"The DBIA is an organization that promotes projects where the design of a building or structure and the construction of a building or structure are done by a single firm or by two firms that are collaborating together," Holley said.

This method is still foreign to much of the world of architecture and construction, but the CADC's Master's of Integrated Design and Construction program is making strides to change this attitude among its students.

"Paul Holley and I co-direct the master's in design-build program, and we really focus on the integration of design and construction in the process of building," Emig said.

The program is a one-year, post-graduate degree for students with an undergraduate background in architecture, construction or engineering.

Holley and Emig believe this program is what set the college apart and secured the award.

"It's very unique, and I think this is one of the reasons we were selected," Holley said. "To our knowledge it is the only jointly housed degree-granting program in the U.S."

Susan Hines, DBIA managing director of public relations and information, confirmed their thoughts.

"Design-Build is new on the project-delivery methods front, (but) it's the fastest growing project-delivery method," Hines said. "Auburn has worked to bring that level of integration to a university setting. Architects and contractors are used to seeing each other as the enemy. A mental shift must take place. Auburn providing an opportunity for young people to learn this in school is incredible."

Holley and Emig's design-build program is only one way the two support integration.

"A primary way that we support it is through our own research and publishing in a variety of journals," Holley said. "One way is through our outreach projects. Another way is through local and written advocacy of design-build project delivery."

Andrew Edwards, president of the DBIA South-Central Region, nominated Holley and Emig.

"As you can see, Emig and Holley have quite a history of promoting design-build delivery and other integrated methods by virtue of Auburn's master of design-build program," Edwards wrote in his letter of nomination to the Distinguished Design-Build Leadership Award Committee. "This program is clearly educating the next generation of designers and builders and is a model for other academic institutions from which to draw for post-professional and undergraduate education."

Share and discuss “Building talent earns award” on social media.