Kiesel park keeps it classy with community orchestra

Don't expect dogs to be the only ones enjoying Kiesel Park Sunday.

The Auburn Community Orchestra will be hosting a classical concert at 7 p.m. in Auburn's largest city park.

"This will be the 11th-consecutive year that the Auburn Community Orchestra will be performing symphonies for the public," said Howard Greenstein, conductor and professor in the Auburn University music department.

Goldstein said this symphonic orchestra was established in 1951, and since then its members have always made an effort to include the community in their performances.

Goldstein said people are invited to bring whomever and whatever they would like to this performance.

"We encourage people to bring their friends and children to the event," Goldstein said. "People can even bring their dogs to bark along to the symphonies."

Goldstein said he encourages attendants to bring their own refreshments, along with blankets to lie on.

Ben Wehtje, bassoon player and fifth-year senior in music performance, has performed with this symphonic orchestra for the past four years.

"I am expecting a decent turnout this year," Wehtje said. "There's always a steady amount of people that attend our concert."

Goldstein is also anticipating many attendees at Kiesel Park Sunday.

"I'm expecting a decent mix of students, faculty and people who just love music," said Goldstein. "I'm hoping that the majority in attendance will be from the surrounding community."

Goldstein said the concert is sponsored by the University music department, the Auburn Arts Association and the City of Auburn Department of Parks and Recreation.

"The orchestra primarily consists of students, music and non-music majors and some faculty," Goldstein said. "Most of our audience consists of people involved or connected to the music department at the University."

Wehtje said this event appeals to casual listeners because the orchestra plays songs everyone has heard before.

"The symphonies we'll be preforming are often featured in movies or television shows," Wehtje said.

Goldstein said the line-up for this performance will include symphonic pieces such as "Jupiter" by The Planets and an overture to Strauss' "Die Fledermaus."

"We'll also perform a Beatles medley," Wehtje said. "I think this will be the most popular performance."

Students are enthusiastic about this concert as well.

"I enjoy classical music," said Corey Harris, sophomore in biomedical sciences. "I usually only listen to it while I'm studying, but I'd go to this concert."

Harris said the location of this symphonic orchestra makes it more appealing.

"Kiesel Park is always a fun location," Harris said. "I think listening to an orchestra perform outdoors will be great."

However, Goldstein said he feels differently about this location.

"Of course, we would love to perform in a facility built for an orchestra, one that would carry our music," Goldstein said. "But there's no such building in Auburn yet."

Goldstein said if the weather is unfavorable, the concert will take place on campus in Goodwin Hall.People can contact Goldstein at 334-844-3167 the day of the event to confirm the location.

To learn more about the orchestra, visit www.auburnalabama.org/arts.

Share and discuss “Kiesel park keeps it classy with community orchestra” on social media.