LCHS pushes cat adoptions this fall

Sophomore Sarah Allen cradles a kitten at the LCHS. Cat adoptions are free and kitten adoptions are discounted through the end of November. (Alex Sager / ASSOCIATE PHOTO EDITOR)

The cat's out of the bag: Lee County Humane Society is introducing its fall feline promotion with the hopes of coordinating 100 cat adoptions before the Iron Bowl.

"Our June promotion had such a great turnout, we thought a fall promotion could be even more successful," said Stacee Peer, director of public relations and development. "In June we were able to coordinate 63 cat adoptions, and this fall our goal is 100."

The shelter will host Football Feline Free-for-All, in which all adult cat adoptions will be free and kitten adoptions discounted to $80. The promotion lasts until the end of November.

Fifteen cats have been adopted since the start of the promotion in September.

"Adopting from our shelter is safer than getting a cat from the classifieds, for example," said Jessica Batson, executive animal health coordinator. "We make sure every pet is healthy and safe to bring to your home."

Every cat up for adoption is spayed or neutered, has up-to-date vaccinations, is dewormed, microchipped and given 30 days of pet insurance. Its owners also receive one free veterinary visit.

"We wanted to give everyone a chance to think about adoption without the price factor," Peer said. "This promotion may be what people need to convince them to adopt a cat."

On average, 6,000 pets come through the LCHS each year. The feline promotion stems from the lack of cat adoptions.

"Dogs jump off the page, but it's hard for some people to notice a quieter animal like a cat," Peer said.

The adoption process includes a one-page application and a counseling session, which prepares adopters with all necessary paperwork and basic ownership information.

There is a set process for animals that arrive at the LCHS.

"Whenever we get an animal, it undergoes a full health examination," Batson said. "We give all strays seven days for the owners to come and claim them. After one week, they are given an examination and then a series of vaccinations to make them healthy for adoption."

Before committing to an adoption, the shelter invites prospective adopters to come and meet some of the animals and learn more about the adoption process and what it means to own and take care of a pet.

"Sometimes we find that adopters don't take into consideration their living situation or their schedules," Peer said. "We want to make sure that each person wanting to adopt understands the responsibilities."

The shelter offers many ways to get involved so adopters can understand the commitment and responsibility of cat ownership.

"Cats are a 15-year commitment, and people can often forget that," said Katie Brennan, sophomore in pre-veterinary science.

"People don't consider cats when they are given the choice between a dog and cat, but cats can be a much easier, less demanding animal to adopt."

Share and discuss “LCHS pushes cat adoptions this fall” on social media.