People of the Plains

Artemio Trujillo owns Lyly's Foods, the taco truck on Opelika Road. His business is the first of its kind in the area. (Maria Iampietro / PHOTO EDITOR)

Authentic Mexican food isn't just served in restaurants.

"It feels different from the restaurants because they're real nice," said Artemio Trujillo, co-owner of Lyly's Foods, or the "taco truck." "It's not real nice here, but it's fun for people to come out here. It's easy and simple."

Trujillo's father taught him the ins and outs of the food industry, and Trujillo worked in the family business until 2000. He then switched to a concrete company to try something different.

In April of 2009, he and his family moved to Auburn, and Trujillo began working with the taco truck again.

"We've been in the business for a long time," Trujillo said. "It's a good business if you know how to manage it."

Although food trucks have become increasingly popular, Trujillo said this is Auburn's first food truck.

The Trujillo family's investment in Auburn business has its benefits. Thoughts of opening a restaurant came about because of slower business in the winter, but for now, Trujillo said the taco truck is their focus.

Parked on Airport Road off Opelika Road, the truck first opened in spring 2010.

The truck is open every night at 7 p.m. and features authentic Mexican cuisine, including tacos, burritos and quesadillas.

Trujillo said managing the truck can be the hardest part, from shopping for daily ingredients to sorting and preparing them.

A typical day for Trujillo starts by driving around the city and looking for more potential customers. Trujillo said most of their customers work in construction.

"What's important is the way the food tastes, along with customers--treating them right and what they think about the food," Trujillo said.

While the bulk of customers are construction workers, more college students have heard about the taco truck and continue to spread the word, such as Alex Kistler, senior in communication.

"Getting to know the workers has been really neat," Kistler said. "They are nice and really appreciate their customers."

Gray Gill, junior in psychology, said he appreciates what the taco truck does for the community and enjoys the good conversation.

Crowds gather each night at the taco truck, and the sense of community keeps the scene laid back.

"I love to talk to (college students) because they come from different cities," Trujillo said. "I ask them all the time, 'Do you like the food?' and they say 'Yes,' and they keep on coming back."

Share and discuss “People of the Plains” on social media.