Wait, the Auburn Tigers almost lost to the Utah State Aggies?

As I sat in Jordan-Hare Saturday, everything in the world felt right again. The band was playing loudly, the team was back on the field and an abundance of fans wearing orange were in attendance.

It was amazing.

Then, the game started.

Regardless, I could not have been more impressed with the 85,245 fans that made it to the opener, including the few hundred Utah State fans that made the 1,861-mile trip.

But some Tigers fans continued a tradition that I've seen build up over the past few seasons.

Once the game hit halftime, seats began to clear. Remember, Auburn was trailing 21-14 at that point.

I understand it was Labor Day weekend, and students and families surely had prior engagements, but I think it showed where fans' priorities were, not to mention what a pushover Auburn expected Utah State to be.

It happened again when Utah State took a 10-point lead late in the fourth quarter.

Everyone assumed the game was over, myself included. But the fans that left appeared to be giving up on the possibility of a comeback. I don't think that's what coach Gene Chizik means by fans being "All In."

By the time the clock hit zero, I'd bet only 70,000 fans were in the stadium celebrating.

A win is a win, though. That's all that matters.

However, if Saturday's efforts are a preview of the rest of the season, strap in because the next 12 weeks are going to feel like an eternity.

The two main concerns, as predicted, are the offensive line and defense.

Auburn rushed for 78 yards Saturday. Last year's team averaged 284.8 yards a game. While Cam Newton was a major contributor, Michael Dyer and Onterio McCalebb were still the second and third top rushers, which was not showcased Saturday.

Granted, four players on the offensive line were starting for the first time.

Without a running game, more pressure is added to the defense, and, as everyone saw, that's not good.

Utah State, in what was almost the biggest win in the history of their program, racked up 448 yards of total offense, but that's just a statistic. The Aggies dominated while on offense, and everyone noticed. There's no other way to put it.

If you didn't miss Nick Fairley prior to Saturday, you should have after Utah State ran for 227 yards. That's twice as much as last year's game average for opponents.

With all of that said, experience is an excuse, and it's one that will be used a lot this season.

While I think the team will show a great deal of progress as the season continues, its just going to take some transitioning.

On a positive note, there were several things that impressed me Saturday.

Barrett Trotter showed why he's the starting quarterback. Despite making a few bad throws, Trotter's numbers tell the tale. On 17 completions, he threw for 261 yards and three touchdowns.

The receivers were as impressive as Trotter. Emory Blake had three catches for 95 yards and a touchdown. Travante Stallworth had 93 yards on four catches and a touchdown.

What caught my attention the most with Blake and Stallworth were the moves they made downfield to find the end zone.

Blake weaved in and out of defenders for the first score of the year, which went for 56 yards.

Stallworth's move to reach the end zone was something he'll tell his grandkids about. I hope he apologized to Isaiah Jones for breaking his ankles.

Clearly, though, special teams was the highlight Saturday.

Tre Mason's kickoff return to the house and Emory Blake recovering the onside kick were game-changing.

Without those plays, Auburn would likely be 0-1.

With that said, the game was a wake-up call for fans.

As I watched the game, I noticed how quickly many turned negative toward the team.

Clearly, this team is not the same team as last year, so it might not compete at the same level. Judging by Saturday alone, we could be looking at a season similar to 2008.

Do you remember those tragic three months?

I'm not saying that's going to happen, not with the 2010 Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year heading the squad. Chizik has proven himself during his short tenure here.

I just hope fans continue to be supportive no matter what.

Unless Auburn has a complete turnaround this week, Tigers fans will need a healthy dose of optimism against No. 20 Mississippi State Saturday.

Share and discuss “Wait, the Auburn Tigers almost lost to the Utah State Aggies?” on social media.