ABC Board takes the 'spice' out of life

Synthetic marijuana, also known as "spice" or "K2," has recently drawn attention and been seized by the state. (CONTRIBUTED)

In the last two weeks, the Alabama Alcoholic Beverage Control Board has seized more than 39,500 packages of synthetic marijuana across the state.

Synthetic marijuana, commonly known as "spice" and "K2," has been available for purchase at convenience stores and tobacco shops across Alabama.

The substance was packaged and sold in the form of spice, incense or potpourri.

"These substances have been wrongly presented as a safe and legal alternative to marijuana," said Don Williamson, state health officer.

Before the hype surrounding it, the substance was available for approximately $9 per packet, but as people began to use the substance inappropriately, and word began to spread the price increased to $29 per packet.

As health issues began to surface resulting from the use of synthetic marijuana, public officials realized there was a huge problem with this substance.

"It is far more powerful than marijuana," said Jim McVay, director of health promotions in chronic disease at the Alabama Department of Public Health. "People have taken it and sprayed it with chemicals thinking it is like marijuana, but these chemicals are so powerful that a lot of people are ending up in the emergency room."

Gov. Robert Bentley and Williamson used an emergency order to make the possession or sale of the chemical compound found in synthetic marijuana substances illegal.

"We are asking store owners and operators to remove these products from their shelves," Bentley said. "And we have instructed our law enforcement agencies to take possession of any that they find for sale.

"Since the substances within these products have been scheduled as controlled substances, it will be illegal to make, sell, possess or use these dangerous drugs."

The effects of synthetic marijuana differ from the effects of traditional marijuana.

"Word got around and people started experimenting with it," said Lee County Sheriff Jay Jones. "Next thing you know it started to become a serious health concern. People were exhibiting signs of delirium and different types of things that can lead to serious health issues."

After seizing the remaining packages, the legislature will push to make the law permanent.

"What we have done so far is work in conjunction with ABC enforcement division to seize the substance from the locations where these products were being sold," Jones said. "No arrests are being made in the initial push."

However, charges will be filed against stores that continue to sell the products.

Capt. Tom Stofer with the Auburn Police Division said the substance has been for sale in Auburn, but it is currently being taken off shelves and seized from businesses.

Share and discuss “ABC Board takes the 'spice' out of life” on social media.