Bikers get a handle on the road

A new bike law orders cars to maintain a three-foot gap between the motorist and the bicyclist.  (Rebecca Croomes / ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR)
A new bike law orders cars to maintain a three-foot gap between the motorist and the bicyclist. (Rebecca Croomes / ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR)

A law requiring a three-foot gap between a motorist and a bicyclist was passed at the Oct. 4 Auburn City Council meeting.

"Unfortunately, in our society, you have to have a law or ordinance before it becomes an acceptable idea," said Tommy Eden of the Auburn Bicycle Committee. "Just like seat belts or things like that. It's been a great idea for a long time, and until somebody put up a law or ordinance in place, relatively few people did it."

At the meeting members of the Auburn Bicycle Committee said they were glad to see the council recognize and address their concern for safety.

"Thrilled. In one word, thrilled," Eden said. "I am extremely grateful for the city council's decision."

Police Captain Tommy Carswell agrees.

"We're glad that the city council has considered it and dealt with it," Carswell said. "A lot of people think it's just for recreation, but in the college area especially it's a great mode of transportation for some people."

Before the 5-3 vote to approve the law, councilman Bob Norman expressed his concern regarding future enforcement issues.

"I just don't think we can legislate courtesy," Norman said.

Carswell said there are various factors at play in enforcing this law.

"The bike law enforcement will lie in an exaggerated circumstance where a citation is warranted," Carswell said. "I may not know what three feet is, but I know what way less than three feet is."

In addition to this new law, the Auburn Bicycle Committee said they plan to put up "Share the Road" signs throughout the city.

"We're actually trying to locate signage in other states that have some kind of three-foot visual so you can look at it and understand what it means," Eden said.

Dustin Woodley, bicyclist and senior in industrial design, said he feels confident this law will be enforced correctly.

"If they enforce it as much as they've been enforcing the other bike rules, like making sure you have lights on at night, making sure you're not riding in the middle of traffic, it'll work," Woodley said.

Woodley organizes and participates in Critical Mass, a student-led bike ride through Auburn that happens the last Friday of each month starting around 6 or 7 p.m.

"It's just a group of bikers getting out there to show the community that yes, you see bikers out on the road, but when you see a big group of us, it really makes everybody think, 'I should watch out for these guys,'" Woodley said.

Carswell said prior to the law there was no statute mandating the distance required between a motorist and a bicyclist.

Members of the Auburn Bicycle Committee said they feel unsafe riding on the road at times.

"When I'm going through a stop sign, I'm sometimes afraid that drivers won't see me, but I try and make eye contact with them so I can be sure they see me," said Jenny Myer, first-year pharmacy student.

Law enforcement and members of the Auburn Bicycle Committee said they agree this law will further educate the community on bicycle safety.

Share and discuss “Bikers get a handle on the road” on social media.