Bikers ride miles of smiles

Zaid Kayyali, sophomore in international business, Brandon Batchelor and Seth Clayton plan to travel 12,000 miles across the U.S. to raise funds for the American Cancer Society. (Christen Harned / ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR)

One Auburn student and his friends plan to go the distance for cancer awareness and prevention.

Zaid Kayyali, freshman in international business, and friends Seth Clayton, Brandon Batchelor and Kyle Sebestyen are trying to prove that a few young men can make a difference in the world.

Kayyali and Sebestyen came up with their idea in March while riding their motorcycles on back roads and talking about how they would like to positively impact others.

"We have all wanted to change the world," Kayyali said. "That is one thing that brings our group of friends together. We want to be larger than life."

The plan is to make a motorcycle trip across the United States to raise money for the American Cancer Society.

The trip will begin in June 2012 and last approximately 50 days.

Fundraising events will be held in large cities throughout the trip, including Birmingham, Boston, Los Angeles, Seattle and Miami.

The goal is to raise $144,000 for cancer awareness, prevention and cures.

The ongoing battle against cancer was not chosen at random, but had personal meaning for the four men.

"The issue at hand really hit home when one of my best friends, Houston Edwards, was diagnosed with cancer, and I saw the struggle he was going through," Clayton said. "That is what made us decide we wanted to do something about it."

Edwards has had cancer twice. He was first diagnosed with testicular cancer and then lymphatic cancer of the abdomen.

"He has basically been a hero to all of us," Kayyali said. "We saw the type of struggle, pain and misery the cancer has put on him. While the cancer had such a negative impact on him, he never stopped smiling."

Edwards' persistence to be joyful throughout cancer treatment inspired the men to title their event "12K Miles 12K Smiles."

During the 12,000 mile journey, they plan to take 12,000 pictures, and the only requirement for each picture is a smile.

Along with the photos, they plan to create a video documentary to help prove to the world a difference can be made.

Right now the riders are looking for sponsorship, donations and people willing to support a good cause.

The majority of the planning must be completed before the ride begins, but for now they hope to gain acceptance and support.

"Everyone knows somebody who has been directly affected by cancer," Kayyali said. "We think this is a great way to touch people's hearts and bring them together."

Share and discuss “Bikers ride miles of smiles” on social media.