Clark rises to challenge

Steven Clark isn't your typical punter. Standing at 6-feet, 5-inches and 226 pounds, Clark resembles a pass-catching tight end more than special teams standout. But for Clark, his size doesn't necessarily translate into more powerful punts.

"Because as far as punting goes, it's more of a technique than actually power and stuff like that," Clark said. "Because some of the best punters are guys who don't have a ton of muscle on them."

Clark has been working on that technique this season, which has led to him being named SEC Special Teams Player of the Week twice this season.

"I've learned through coaching what it's supposed to be, so it's just a matter of doing it every time," Clark said. "It's different between knowing what to do and actually doing it, so I'm just trying to do it. I've been really trying to get the technical part down first this year."

Clark stood at 6 feet entering his freshman year of high school, which he said was big for his high school's standards. With his size he was shuffled around from offensive tackle to defensive end to tight end throughout high school, but knew his future was at punter.

"I saw a guy kicking a ball at our first practice freshman year, and I had kicked a little before, and I thought I could kick it farther than that," Clark said. "I did good that year for our freshman team at punter. After that season was over, my high school coach told me to go to a couple of camps, and I might could start next year. I went to one camp that summer, and I started the next year."

With no offers from any colleges entering the summer of his senior year, Clark decided to attend Jamie Kohl's kicking camp. Clark credits Kohl, the director of one of the most prestigious kicking, punting and snapping camps in the nation, with helping him through his recruiting process.

"Jamie Kohl kind of coached me through the recruiting process because I didn't know how the recruiting process worked," Clark said. "I went to his camp, and that's how I started getting offers. Going into my senior year, I didn't have any offers. I went to that camp at the end of July, and I think I got my first offer from Purdue the first week of August. Then, in September I came down for the West Virginia game and was offered (by Auburn)."

Far away from his hometown of Kansas City, Mo., Clark wasn't concerned about the distance between Alabama and his home state.

"I came here and really liked it. I wasn't worried about how far away from home it was," Clark said. "People back home would ask me why I liked Auburn, and I told them there were just a lot of nice people here. Just in the South in general, everyone always is really nice if you give them the time."

Clark noted the intensity for football is greater in Auburn than in Missouri.

"It's a different atmosphere," Clark said. "It was nothing like I had ever experienced. That's why I liked it, though. I like the fans, how passionate they are about football. In the Midwest, we like our football, but it's just a different level here. I've seen little kids crying here after losses, and that's not something you see back home."

An example of that passion was on display as Auburn took on the Florida Gators in Jordan-Hare Stadium Oct. 15. Clark was an integral part to the Tigers' victory.

The lack of strong offensive play put a premium on field position and special teams, and Clark provided a spark for the Tigers by averaging almost 40 yards per punt and forcing the Gators into an average starting field position on their own 26-yard line.

Clark's biggest punt was his last, which was fumbled by Robert Clark of the Gators. The fumble allowed Auburn to regain possession and drive for a field goal that put the game out of reach for the Gators.

"I don't know how much I have to do with all of that stuff," Clark said. "There's nothing I did special to those balls that he dropped. I just kicked them. I kicked them well, though. I didn't realize how big of a turning point that last one was until we were lining up for Cody to kick, and I thought they were about to have the ball, but now Cody is about to ice the game. It was great."

Share and discuss “Clark rises to challenge” on social media.