I work hard for the money, let me keep it

My dad lived in a single-wide trailer.

He married at a young age, without any kind of future set in stone.

But after 10 years of college, a four-year stint in the Army, two children and three college degrees, he is a successful dentist in metro Atlanta.

A few months ago my father sat me down in his office to talk about a few financial situations in regards to my college career.

We talked about tuition and everyday expenses, and sometime during the conversation he brought up the impact my expenses had on his taxes.

This also led to a discussion regarding his income tax, and if the current tax rates stay in place, he will be paying more than 50 percent of his income to the government.

Half of everything he makes will be out of his control.

I am by no means a political analyst, but how can anyone think this is right and fair?

A flat tax would solve most issues here, but of course a simplified tax code and equal tax rate is out of the question. Make the tax rate 10 percent for everyone who makes a certain amount, and those who make less will be given a break for certain earnings.

This sends one message to me: anyone who wants to go to college and have a prosperous life and--after hard work and a few favors-- make good or even great money, can. But if you do, you have to give a large portion away, no questions asked.

This is one of the most counterintuitive operations that has ever been brought to my attention.

Whenever I bring this story up, the individuals who enjoy more government control and agree with the highest tax rate to the highest paying individuals tell me I am ignorant.

The logic here is that people who make the most should pay the most.

The most successful have to give to pay for those who "need" it.

I am all for helping impaired and handicapped individuals and those who have the most extreme situations that have absolutely no chance at going to college.

The people I don't care to help are those who could have attended college, but for whatever reason, did not.

The people that rely on welfare because the government owes them, the people who don't look for scholarships to pay for college or believe that college is a waste of money and the ones who say I could have gone, but I would be in debt forever if I took out a student loan.

Go to college and stop complaining. Earn your way to a better life and stop demanding for those who are successful to pay for those who choose not to be.

If ignorance is wanting to control the money I earned after I paid four years or more of out-of-state college tuition, then so be it.

Share and discuss “I work hard for the money, let me keep it” on social media.