The sounds of sculpture

Students help artist Noah Kirby install pieces of his exhibit at Biggin Hall. (CONTRIBUTED)

"Things Unsaid," a sculpture-sound exhibit created by the husband-and-wife team of Noah Kirby and Alison Ouellette-Kirby, is echoing through Biggin Hall.

"They were invited because of their reputations as artists," said Barb Bondy, exhibitions and lectures coordinator for the art department. "We worked very hard to create an exhibition schedule that features diversity, both in the artists and the disciplines in which the artists work."

At the beginning of the exhibit a wall of speakers obscures the other sounds from the exhibit.

"We were very conscious of where pieces were placed and how they would affect the viewer," Kirby said. "You might start off hearing one voice, but as you move through it and get acclimated to the environment you start hearing multiple voices and it's easier for you to navigate."

The exhibit was inspired by miscommunications the couple experienced in their marriage.

"We have these conversations that are very intense debates, and for all intensive purposes we're arguing," Kirby said. "At some point during the conversation we realize we are actually arguing the same point, but using different kinds of words and coming from slightly different perspectives."

Kirby said the exhibit is interactive, and viewers must make hard choices.

"Some of it's politically motivated," Kirby said. "In one of the pieces you'll have Barack Obama and Hitler speaking at the same time, so you're faced with a choice of what to focus on and what you can focus on."

Bondy said the exhibit's message is effective in highlighting National Arts and Humanities Month.

Share and discuss “The sounds of sculpture” on social media.