Bicycle police officers prove useful to college campus

High-speed chases may not be in the cards for most bicycle patrol officers, but their maneuverability gives them a special place on a university campus.

"I think we serve a little bit different purpose from a traditional patrolman in a patrol car," said bicycle officer Gavin Compton. "Part of having officers on bikes on campus serves a couple different purposes."

Capt. Tom Stofer said the use of bicycle officers is important because they are often the first responders to on-campus problems.

"Keep in mind that Auburn University has become more of a pedestrianized campus in that streets that used to be accessible by automobile are no longer that way," Stofer said. "We've got to have mobility on campus and one of the things that give us that mobility is bicycles."

Through close cooperation with their assigned partners officers handle traffic violations on the roads.

"Our primary purpose is a community-policing style of being visible as a way to help deter crime, but we also enforce traffic laws," Compton said. "We may sit near a crosswalk as vehicles slow down or don't slow down. We work in teams of two so we radio ahead to the next guy to stop a certain vehicle."

Melvin Owens, director of public safety at the University, said he believes having bicycle officers on campus is helpful in many ways, both to the police and students.

"It's a great opportunity for staff and students to interact with the bicycle officers," Owens said. "It's much easier to make contact with them, much easier to establish rapport and much easier to respond to any given situation, especially if it's around buildings where the roads have been blocked or barricaded."

Owens said it's important to develop a spirit of cooperation so students feel comfortable approaching officers on campus with their problems.

"If there's problems we would recommend you flag them down and talk to them regardless how severe the situation is because a lot of times it gives you the ability to head off problems before they become severe," Owens said.

Compton said he's been stopped to help with a number of problems during his time as a bicycle officer.

"Personally, I've been flagged down by students for just arguments on the Concourse to calm people down, or thefts like textbooks stolen at the library and the victim has followed the suspect out and is able to flag us down to help," Compton said.

Owens said collaboration between the Auburn police and the Department of Public Safety is important to the security of the campus.

"We both do what's needed to make sure the campus is safe," Owens said. "We complement each other, and each of us has our niche where we work together for the overall benefit of the campus."

Share and discuss “Bicycle police officers prove useful to college campus” on social media.