Friends, family remember Libbie

(CONTRIBUTED)
(CONTRIBUTED)

Elizabeth "Libbie" Ainsworth was described as an angel on Earth.

"She was always very optimistic, and I don't think she ever said anything bad about anyone," said Kathryn Davis, sophomore in interior design and one of Ainsworth's best friends. "And if she did, she would try to make some sort of positive out of it."

Ainsworth, sophomore in interior design, died Jan. 3 at Columbus Regional Medical Center from complications following a severe, one-car wreck the evening of Jan. 1. According to a report from Charles Dysart, Alabama state trooper and public information officer for the Alabama Department of Public Safety, Ainsworth was traveling on U.S. Highway 280 when the accident occurred. She was riding with Drew Cole, senior in finance, who was driving the vehicle.

According to reports from the Opelika-Auburn News, Cole was attempting to enter an address into his GPS when he lost control of the car.

Ainsworth, who was not wearing a seatbelt, was ejected from the vehicle. She survived the initial crash and was airlifted to Columbus Regional Medical Center, where she remained until her death two days later.

Cole did not suffer serious injuries and was treated and released by the East Alabama Medical Center in Opelika.

According to the Opelika-Auburn News, investigations into the possibility of a traffic homicide charge are still underway. No details have been released, and authorities are unsure when the investigation will be complete.

Ainsworth, who was from Coppell, Texas, is remembered by friends as having a larger-than-life personality.

"Gosh, she was so proud of Texas and just her big blonde hair, always curled, and big eyes, and she was just a big personality, too," Davis said.

Davis described Ainsworth as talented in her interior design field.

"Her dream was to be like the woman on 'The Blind Side,' that interior designer, blonde with her Mercedes and her big sunglasses," Davis said. "Her dream job would be to design yachts and cruiseline ships, that's what she wanted to do. She definitely could have."

Ainsworth's love of interior design was evident in her own decorating choices.

"She definitely loved bright colors," Davis said. "You should see her room. It's a big explosion of color and very fun."

Ainsworth was also an involved member of Phi Mu sorority.

"I know several of our new girls in our sorority, the first day that they met her they can just say that Libbie had this huge smile and came up to them and was like, 'Hey, I'm Libbie, I'm gonna find you,'" Davis said. "And she loved Phi Mu, loved pink, loved everything about it."

A written tribute to Libbie by friend and sorority sister Summer Petro described Ainsworth as a person of many interests, who liked singing, cooking and animals as well as interior design.

"Interior design took up most of her time, but she always made time for friends and Drew," the write-up said.

A memorial service for Ainsworth will be held Jan. 16 at Auburn United Methodist Church at 7 p.m. The service is open for anyone interested in attending.

"I would just say that how beautiful she was inside and out, and she literally was like an angel here on earth, and she influenced so many people in her life," Davis said. "And I think that's the way we should remember her, as an angel here on earth and beautiful."

Attendees are encourage to wear pink.

Share and discuss “Friends, family remember Libbie” on social media.