VanGorder record a mixed bag for Auburn

The hiring of Brian VanGorder may be enticing at first taste, but eventually mellows after a few bites.

The NFL-to-college experiment has had multiple outcomes in the past, with fan-favorite Nick Saban the closest on hand. He was coach of the Miami Dolphins for just less than two years, leaving the team in turmoil and in recovery mode for six years.

Now it's VanGorder's turn. Although he did not accept a coaching position, defensive coordinator is still a hefty burden. Fans might not be watching VanGorder on the sidelines on Saturdays, but we will know if his defensive schemes are effective.

Leaving the Atlanta Falcons after a third-consecutive playoff loss, VanGorder prefers the 4-3 defensive scheme--something Auburn is familiar with.

The major difference between VanGorder and Ted Roof--after watching nearly every Falcons game for the past five years--is the secondary play and blitzing from the edges.

Although the Falcons finished 11th overall in defense in 2011, his scheme is far from fan happy. The corners often play trail technique and rarely challenge receivers at the line of scrimmage.

The Falcons dreaded third downs during VanGorder's tenure, with third and long situations an even bigger problem. Opposing receivers would often find huge gaps in coverage to catch a simple completion for a first down.

In 2011, Atlanta started All-Pro corner Brent Grimes and former first-round pick Dunta Robinson, leaving me wondering why, with such great talent, their schemes were failing.

Roof, too, played defensive backs away from receivers quite often, and Auburn's defense was one of the worst in college football in terms of coverage.

The Falcons also play Pro Bowler John Abraham and first-round pick Peria Jerry on the defensive line, yet the team lacked the pressure and coverage necessary to win a playoff game under VanGorder.

I understand Atlanta may not have had a plethora of All-Pro players on defense to get the job done, but looking at the Green Bay Packers--whose defense has remained consistent for the past 4 years--how many players can you name from their roster?

On the sidelines this season, I often questioned why Auburn's defense played how it did. Although schemes will be different this year, VanGorder will likely train his corners in the same way.

Playing off of a receiver leaves space for easy completions, and when tackling has been an issue for Auburn's corners, this strategy has disaster written all over it.

VanGorder's relationship with the players still remains a mystery, and maybe his scheme will translate differently in college ball, but from Section 112 in the Georgia Dome, VanGorder's scheme remains questionable.

Working with Chizik, I hope VanGorder can recreate his top-ranked defenses from his time with the Bulldogs and forget about the Falcons' below-average defenses in recent years.

Auburn fans may thank coach Chizik in the long run for hiring VanGorder, but until he proves his defense can stop a big opponent, save the praise.

Share and discuss “VanGorder record a mixed bag for Auburn” on social media.