Black Student Union promotes diversity through events

Auburn's Black Student Union continues to promote diversity throughout campus this semester.

"The Black Student Union promotes unity through education,'" said Abraham Williams, executive vice presdent of BSU and sophomore in public relations. "BSU believes in the Auburn family, and we strive to provide a diverse family atmosphere for all students."

The BSU also welcomes students not of African-American background.

"Although we historically target African-American students, we welcome all students with open arms," Williams said. "We are a unique organization in that our structure is flexible in order to fit our members' wants and needs."

Student Activity Projects receive a budget allotment each year from Student Government Association.

BSU received approximately $50,371 this school year, and the budget is used for a variety of expenses.

The BSU's highest expenses are under Tiger Stomp at $17,249, Black History Semester at $9,922 and cultural and special events for a total of $13,620.

Along with events on campus, the BSU also uses its budget for the group's office in Suite 3130 of the Student Center. Approximately $5,098 is allocated for the office.

The BSU also enjoys the opportunity to provide its members with support academically and socially, Williams said.

"We take steps to provide support to our members through our weekly general assembly meetings, events and forums," he said.

The BSU holds events in the fall and spring terms that help promote diversity throughout campus.

In the fall semester, it holds events like Breakfast 4 You and Interviews for Dummies, along with a jazz and poetry night. During the spring, BSU hosts everything from movie events showing "The Help" to Soul Food Bazaar on the Concourse to Tiger Stomp, its annual step show.

"Stepping is a traditional African-American art form derived centuries ago," Walton said. "And we celebrate the rich traditions inherent therein each year with our own annual step competition."

The BSU involves the whole campus for this event.

"We collaborate with Auburn's National Panhellenic Council organizations and even include Panhellenic Greeks and other NPHC organizations from various schools in the South to showcase and promote unity, diversity, heritage and a unique form of entertainment," Walton said.

The event includes members and nonmembers from across campus, Williams said.

"This form of entertainment is an event that our members look forward to all year," Williams said.

Along with hosting special events on campus, Walton said the BSU helps all students on campus feel at home.

"BSU is not only a safe haven for African-Americans, but also it helps to educate Auburn students about the history, culture and thoughts of the African-American students," Walton said.

The BSU is needed to foster growth and development, he added.

"(It needs) to be a voice for African-American students at a University where we have been allowed to attend for many years," Walton said.

Share and discuss “Black Student Union promotes diversity through events” on social media.