Gospel choir observes Black History Month with concert

The Auburn University gospel choir rehearses Mondays and Wednesdays at 3 p.m. (Rebecca Croomes / PHOTO EDITOR)

Auburn's gospel choir will promote African-American strength and prosperity through the decades at this year's Black History Month concert.

The concert will be Feb. 26 at 4 p.m. at the City Church. Admission is free.

"Song is significant because all people of the world have music," said William Powell, associate professor and director of choral activities in the music department. "All cultures of the world have a certain type of music to be identified with."

The gospel choir will focus on African-American history, including African spiritual songs during times of slavery and protest songs during the Civil Rights era, along with contemporary gospel songs familiar to churches today.

Powell said the event will take the audience on a journey through African-American history.

"Back in slave times, song was their form of communication, as some sort of code," said Jeremy Pyles, choir officer and junior in vocal music education. "Throughout the years they used gospel music to praise the Lord through song."

"We Shall Overcome," "Total Praise" and "Perfect Praise" are a few of the songs the choir has selected.

The choir has helped with other Black History Month events in past years, but has never put on its own event.

"We have been invited to perform in events during Black History Month, but this is own our performance," Powell said.

Dancers will accompany the choir for some songs.

"Some of the skits will be during the songs, and some of it will be dancing, " said Chris Joseph, choir president and junior in business management. "We have some skits that will introduce a couple of songs as well."

The choir will be able to show more emotion by not limiting itself to only singing, said Abbie Welch, junior in human development and family studies who will introduce songs for the choir.

"We have put a lot of time and effort learning new songs and getting ready for our performances," Welch said. "We really want our concert to be powerful, so we have put in the time necessary."

Pyle said this show is important for the entire community.

"(Black History Month is) important for the people who aren't African-American so they can learn about the culture," Pyle said. "It's also important for people who are African-American so they can really connect with their culture."

Along with African-Americans relating to their culture through this event, recognizing the hardships of their ancestors is significant as well, Welch said.

"Through putting on these events we are able to honor the people who have paved the way for a better America and equal life for all people in our country," she said.

Share and discuss “Gospel choir observes Black History Month with concert” on social media.