Holy grail comes to Opelika in 'Spamalot'

If you are a fan of Monty Python, or just looking for a different way to spend an evening, The Arts Center of East Alabama's showing of "Spamalot" could be the perfect way to spend next Wednesday night.

For one night only, the Monty Python musical "Spamalot" will be showing Feb. 15 at 7:30 p.m. at the Opelika Center for the Performing Arts on South Railroad Avenue in Opelika.

"We usually have eight season events which range in diversity from the internationally recognized BBC Symphony Orchestra to legendary actors such as Hal Holbrook portraying author Mark Twain," said Kyle Gassiott from The Arts Center of East Alabama.

"Spamalot" isn't the only nationally touring production to visit the area. The center has also hosted Rodger's and Hammerstein's "South Pacific," Gassiott said.

According to the musical's official website, MontyPythonSpamalot.com, the play was "lovingly ripped off from the classic film comedy 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail.'"

Guests are invited to experience the altered script and join King Arthur, Sir Lancelot and the Knights of the Round Table as they perform the Tony-award-winning musical directed by Academy Award-winner Mike Nichols.

"It really kind of pokes fun at the legend of King Arthur," said Jacob Smith in an interview with Gassiott for Troy Public Radio's Community Focus. Smith portrays Sir Dennis Galahad, Black Knight, and Father in the musical.

Eric Idle, an original member of the British comedy group Monty Python, wrote the book for "Spamalot" and teamed up with John Du Prez to create the all-new musical numbers.

According to Idle's biography on the musical's website, the two have been working together for more than 30 years, and both won a Grammy award for their efforts in "Spamalot."

"The writing is so amazing, you can't help but love it," Smith said.

The actors will be traveling across the continent, performing in Clemson, S.C., the night before their East Alabama debut. From Opelika, the production will continue its North American tour, ending in San Francisco in April.

Tour dates and ticket information can be found on the musical's website.

The Opelika Center for the Performing Arts has 1,100 seats, two-thirds of which are for season subscribers, Gassiott said.

"The arts association is very fortunate to enjoy a large amount of support from the East Alabama community," Gassiott said. "Broadway musicals such as 'Spamalot' often sell out the house in single ticket sales."

For more information about the show, contact The Arts Center of East Alabama at 334-749-8105, or visit their website at eastalabamaarts.org.

Even if you aren't a fan of Monty Python, Smith said there is something for everyone in the show.

"There is literally something for everyone in this show," Smith said. "Whether you're a Python fan or not, whether you're a theater fan or not--it really doesn't matter. We have every kind of person that comes to see the show and everyone enjoys it. Just about everyone comes away whistling a tune."

Share and discuss “Holy grail comes to Opelika in 'Spamalot'” on social media.