South College restaurants starve

Ezell's Catfish Cabin, formerly located on South College Street, closed last year due to rising rent and lack of student interest, said director of operations Frank Cantrell. (Danielle Lowe / ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR)

The gutted remains of buildings on South College Street mark the graves of many unsuccessful restaurants.

Frank Cantrell, director of operations at Ezell's Catfish Cabin in Bessemer, said the effort to bring one of their restaurants to Auburn was unsuccessful for a number of reasons.

"I think it has a lot to do with location," Cantrell said. "When you're outside the loop that goes around Auburn, it seems you don't get the traffic that restaurants get in other places."

Rent increases because of recent development around the South College area and a lack of student interest are two factors that contributed to the eventual close of Ezell's, Cantrell said.

"Students get up and go to school or somewhere, and they'll eat on the way and not stop in at the restaurant on the South College end," Cantrell said. "It seems like we're not getting the repeat business there."

Veggies To Go on South College has had a different experience, however.

Restaurant manager Lawrence Parker attributes the restaurant's success to its quick service, low prices and niche product of predominantly Southern cooking.

"For the kids living off campus and weekend eating, it's open at night and it's real fast," Parker said. "There's not a 20-minute wait when you come in with a group. We can sit you down and have you gone in five minutes."

Catering to students and their lifestyles is important, Parker said, and when he went to Ezell's he felt it wasn't capable of accommodating its target market successfully.

"I went to Ezell's, and the quality wasn't as good as the price I was paying for the food," Parker said. "Economic times are hard. People need something for their money."

Rachel Kimrey, junior in chemical engineering, said she never heard of Ezell's, The Oaks or many of the other restaurants on South College Street.

"It's a lot easier to go to restaurants closer to campus," Kimrey said. "I eat on campus a lot or in a lot of the restaurants on Magnolia or downtown just because it's quicker."

Cantrell said he's noticed students' preference for restaurants closer to campus, even though many live in nearby apartment complexes.

"When it's time to go back out or anything, everybody goes out to a place where there are a few more restaurants and there's more of a draw, like shopping," Cantrell said.

Kimrey said she often avoids places that don't accept Tiger Club accounts, which is why businesses on South College don't typically get her business.

Though it's difficult to maintain a business on South College, Parker's advice for restaurant entrepreneurs is simple.

"Get you some people-friendly cashiers and get you a product that sells," he said.

Share and discuss “South College restaurants starve” on social media.