Dri-Fit, leggings better workout outfit than cotton

Workout clothes aren't just for looks.

"I definitely can't work out in a big T-shirt," said Hannah Berryhill, sophomore in public relations. "I hate to say I'm kind of a workout clothes snob, but I really can't work out in cotton. It doesn't breathe well."

Ben Wernette, sales associate at Big Dog Running Company, suggests avoiding cotton.

"A lot of companies now make Dri-Fit shirts, which is just a fast-wicking, breathable material," Wernette said. "A couple companies also do body mapping on their clothes, and they put different materials on different parts of the shirt according to where the body expends the most heat."

Wernette said cotton becomes heavy and uncomfortable while running in the heat.

"The breathable materials stay loose, and they don't start to feel heavy when it gets wet," Wernette said. "It's lighter and cooler overall, which you need this time of year to keep you running."

Berryhill, an avid performer of Crossfit--a high intensity workout for strength and conditioning--prefers the brand Lululemon Athletica.

"It's a bit on the pricey side, but I love their cropped leggings," Berryhill said. "They have a special fabric that breathes really well. I usually pair it with a Lululemon tank top that has a built-in sports bra, so it's super comfortable and easy to move in."

Courtney Treater, co-owner of Pure Barre Auburn, said leggings are her preferred choice.

"We like to keep the muscles warm by wearing pants or leggings in class," Treater said.

As for large T-shirts, Treater said people should dress to stay comfortable.

"However, a lot of people have told us feedback when they started wearing more fitted clothes, they were able to see themselves better and really focus on what they were doing and what area of the body they are working on and seeing how it pays off," she said.

Berryhill said confidence is key.

"If you feel like you look good, sometimes you perform better," she said.

Share and discuss “Dri-Fit, leggings better workout outfit than cotton” on social media.