Fashion week is brought to Auburn

Fashion week is hitting Auburn this year, and is already in full swing.

Beth Witten, owner of The Blue Shoe boutique, thought of bringing fashion week to Auburn after she returned from New York's fashion week.

A week of fashion kicked off Thursday with a preview event at The Blue Shoe boutique. The fashion show featured clothes from stores around Auburn such as Ellie, Starzz Boutique and CindaLee's. Chef Steve Lynch provided small hors 'doeuvres for the show and champagne for attendees.

Fashion week will continue through March 9, and will feature trunk shows and additional fashions shows at Ellie and Maestro 2300.

Event details, dates and times are listed on the Auburn Fashion Week's Facebook page.

The Blue Shoe boutique has been open for a year and a half, and is one of AFW's main sponsors. The store sells accessories, handbags and local art.

Witten said she and other boutique owners built relationships together as women in business trying to drive traffic to one another.

"We kind of spearheaded after the 3/50 project, which is a national project to support Brick and Mortar small businesses in your local community," Witten said. "So we have a natural relationship, and that's kind of where this foundation was started, and then it evolved to other boutiques."

Julie Bunkley, event planner for Invision Events, is in charge of promotion for AFW. Bunkley updates AFW's Twitter, Facebook page and blog for the week.

"We are definitely looking to build upon this year," Bunkley said.

"Any aspiring, especially local, artists or designers or anything, please let us know that you are in the area, what your designs are, what your market is, we would like to support people like that."

Bunkley said it was Witten's fashion inspiration from New York that led to promote small boutiques in Auburn.

"Witten wanted to promote the retailers that are here and hopefully bring more attention to the work that they do to bring new styles and designers here to the Auburn area," Bunkley said.

Although this is Auburn Fashion Week's first year, the people behind the event hope to continue it for the community. Next year they would like to get more students involved and have a benefactor that raises money for charity.

Share and discuss “Fashion week is brought to Auburn” on social media.