State House passes ban on texting while driving

It's seen at stoplights, on the highway--even in your own lap. Some claim it's as dangerous as driving under the influence, yet it's still legal.

That is the sentiment behind House Bill 2, or the "TTYL Act," a new bill calling for a ban on texting while driving. The Alabama House of Representatives unanimously passed the bill Feb. 21, the sixth day of the 2012 Regular Session. The bill now moves to the Senate.

Representative Jim McClendon, R-Springville, championed the bill.

"McClendon has been working on this proposal for five years," said Speaker of the House Mike Hubbard, R-Lee. "It is because of his hard work and leadership that we now have a good chance to make this law a reality and save lives."

"The crash rate and fatality rate is almost identical to drunk driving," McClendon said.

The bill was before the Senate Feb. 23.

"Sen. Bobby Singleton, D-Greensboro, vowed he was going to filibuster the bill," McClendon said.

McClendon said the opposition doesn't worry him.

"I am quite confident that it will come out of the Senate intact and we will be stating it into law," said McClendon, who added that he is unsure when the Senate will reach its decision.

"Its really up to Sen. Waggoner to bring the bill up at a time when he thinks will be the best opportunity to complete the process," McClendon said.

Hubbard said the bill has "a powerful co-sponsor" in State Majority Leader Jabo Waggoner, R-Vestavia Hills, who chairs the agenda-setting Rules Committee.

Under the bill, anyone caught sending, receiving or entering text into a mobile device will receive a $25 fine and a two-point penalty on the offender's driving record. The second offense carries a $50 fine, with $75 for the third.

"Many cities and counties throughout Alabama have individual bans, but it is on the trooper-patrolled state highways where high speeds make distracted driving especially deadly," Hubbard said. "This bill would allow law enforcement officers to crack down on this deadly habit on every Alabama road."

McClendon said he sees people texting on his drive to work.

"They're usually on the inside lane and they've got their elbows on the steering wheel, and they've got their cell phone propped up on the wheel," McClendon said.

Students are familiar with this method.

"The easiest way to do it is to hold it in front of your steering wheel," said Bryan Watford, freshman in history. "People do it. I've done it."

Watford said he supports the bill, but is wary of its value.

"I just don't know how effective it will be," Watford said. "There are speeding laws, but people speed. It doesn't stop people from speeding, it just stops people from speeding when cops are around."

Other students are also dubious about the bill's potential effectiveness.

"I feel like it'll be a good bill," said Morgan McVay, freshman in public relations, qualifying her support by adding that "people would find ways around it ... maybe putting it more in their lap."

Hubbard said people need to be educated about the dangers of distracted driving so that instead of trying to avoid getting caught, they will change their behavior.

"Every time we pick up the phone to write that text or send that email while behind the wheel, we are putting the lives of everyone else on the road at risk," Hubbard said. "This law will save lives."

Share and discuss “State House passes ban on texting while driving” on social media.