Your view: close call is great lesson

On March 13, I almost lost my 14-year-old son.

He's a great kid. He plays sports, is an A-B student and has been voted class favorite for three years in a row. Teachers have always commented on what a fine young man he is.

At his age peer pressure can be tough, but he's always seemed to stay level headed--until last Tuesday in Panama City Beach during his and Auburn's spring break.

He and his friends went to the Spinnaker. He told me he was going somewhere else because he knows that is off limits during college spring break. He apparently decided to drink.

He had an Auburn backpack on and received drinks from Auburn students. It was his choice.

In just three hours he collapsed with alcohol poisoning. An ambulance was called and another group of Auburn students stayed by his side until the ambulance arrived.

Hearing over the phone that he was being rushed to the hospital was a harsh reality not knowing if he was going to be OK.

It's news a parent never wants to hear.

When they got him stable they tested his blood alcohol level. A .25, three times over the legal limit. They also told me he had started to asperate before the paramedics got to him.

I am grateful he survived this awful mess and wanted to share this to thank the students that helped him. I have no way of knowing who they are, but appreciate their strength and courage to help my son. He made a really bad decision that could have devestated a mom, dad, grandparents, friends and and the entire beach community.

The ER was full of young college students in the same shape my son was literally lining the hallways. I felt overwhelmed for their families. A young man had overdosed just a few weeks before.

We all have choices that we can make. We are all human and in our lives will make both good and not-so-good choices. There are consequences to all our actions both good and bad.

My son now has to walk through the consequences of his own actions. Hopefully it will build his character. It is ultimately his choice.

Because he is minor, I choose not to share his name. Keep coming to the beach and have a great time, but please remember to be safe and responsible.

Beth Casey

Auburn alumna, 1986

Share and discuss “Your view: close call is great lesson” on social media.