WEGL DJ needs your help

In response to the article "Advice for WEGL, tune in or turn off," I have to say that I overwhelmingly agree.

I have been a DJ on WEGL for two years now, and I have never had to attend a meeting or training session. My only real training came from another DJ.

There is a handbook that must be reviewed, but many DJs remain unaware of important rules or procedures.

As far as the marketing goes, while a lot could be left up to the DJs, it is the management that ultimately has to make the plan and inform the DJs.

Every DJ could hang up fliers, try to recruit friends, or pitch in to find artists to play in studio. As for the stream constantly being down, it is disheartening when friends and family try to tune in and cannot.

Props go out to Will, one of the station engineers, who worked tirelessly around my show to get the stream up and running again. I don't know if it is the fault of the software or hardware, but it is irritating.

There definitely needs to be a higher level of professionalism in the studio. Walking in the studio is usually heartbreaking.

People have torn up the chairs, the headphones, and trash is left all around the desk.

If you're going to break stuff that isn't yours, you shouldn't get the chance to use it.

WEGL has been a constant struggle for me.

I love picking out new music and finding topics to discuss on air every week, but with the inconsistent state of streaming and now the problems with broadcast, it makes it seem not even worth it. This is something that I am considering a career in, and the lack of professionalism of the other DJs is, frankly, annoying.

There are plenty of great DJs right now, but there are many others who have no idea what they're doing.

WEGL needs to get it together. The management and the DJs need to put in the time and effort to put on quality shows that can be heard, both on broadcast and on streaming.

Marketing efforts need to be stepped up. Live shows should be broadcast. Artists should be interviewed.

However, the handful of qualified DJs cannot handle it all on their own. It has to be a team effort.

Who is with me?

Katherine Harding

graduate student

communication

Share and discuss “WEGL DJ needs your help” on social media.