Tigers keep kickin', now 4-3-0

Senior goalkeeper Amy Howard and junior defender Bianca Sierra had some of the highlights of Auburn's Sept. 8 win against Texas Tech University, with Howard saving 10 different times and Sierra scoring two free shots.

Sierra's first shots of the season were also her first goals of the season, and they both occurred in the first half of the game. With a final score of 2-1, Auburn's record improved to 4-3-0 while TTU's dropped to 5-2-0.

Overcast weather didn't deter Auburn fans from crowding the stands, even as the threat of rain loomed in the distance, and fans weren't let down. The game was a constant pursuit from goal to goal that left neither team in possession of the ball for too long.

"In the first half we were really good offensively," said head coach Karen Hoppa. "We held the ball. We changed the point. We created a lot of opportunities, and got two good goals. And I think in the second half our defense stepped up. Texas Tech put on the heat, our defense really played strong, and Amy Howard played fantastic in goal. That was a real strength for us tonight as well."

Forty-two minutes into the first half, TTU made its only goal, as junior midfielder Jessica Disabella scored her first goal of the season.

TTU attempted 16 shots throughout the game, while Auburn attempted eight shots.

Both teams racked up the fouls with TTU getting nine and Auburn reaching 14. Yellow cards were handed out to one TTU player and to three Auburn players.

After the game, Hoppa said she was proud of the entire team's performance and that the game was a total team effort.

Share and discuss “Tigers keep kickin', now 4-3-0” on social media.