'Glee Project 2' star keeps shining, soon to release first EP

Auburn alumna Shanna Henderson will release her first EP Nov. 24. (Courtesy of Shanna Henderson)

A year ago this week marks when Auburn alumna Shanna Henderson's life changed with "The Glee Project 2." Now, Henderson is moving toward bigger and better things, including her own EP titled "Lost Love."

"Lost Love" is in its post-production phase, and Henderson is currently working on photo shoots for its upcoming release date Nov. 24, including a video recently made at Telfair B. Peet Theatre for her first single titled "Burning."

"In 'Lost Love,' there's definitely a theme of finding love and losing it in different facets," Henderson said. "My music is definitely more real, because I have the 'Lifetime' of a movie life, and I used to be afraid to write about it in song, but I'm not now."

Henderson, who recently graduated with a degree in musical theatre, said there will be four songs on the EP titled "Let Go," "Knightly," "11/24" and "Burning."

"If you really pay attention to the news and real people's stories of losing loved ones and seeing the hurt, those things inspire me," Henderson said.

Moved by stories of losing loved ones at war, abuse within a household and the "quintessential breaking up with someone and being heartbroken," Henderson said she realizes most people are afraid to talk about these issues in mainstream music.

"I'm hoping that the public's reaction is positive, but even more than that, I want them to connect with what I've said," Henderson said.

Mentioning country classics like "Whiskey Lullaby" by Brad Paisley and Alison Krauss and "Concrete Angel" by Martina McBride, Henderson said her music is different from most today with a blended genre of country, folk and indie.

Henderson said she has a three-year plan of success, including an upcoming Christmas EP, a full-length album releasing approximately February 2013 and hopes of joining tours and festivals next summer.

Aside from producing and touring, Henderson said she wants to continue writing and co writing, and, "even if I'm not nominated, I want to be at least invited to the CMAs and the Grammys. I'm just going to keep on trucking."

Henderson began work on "Lost Love" early August when she moved to Nashville, Tenn., after "The Glee Project 2" finished.

"We became a dysfunctional family that fought and loved," Henderson said. "We went through a lot of crazy things, and they had to smell me in a meat dress."

She said preparing for "The Glee Project 2" equipped her for the endless "no's" most people will receive before they receive their first "yes."

"I got told 'no' in a very public way, and the doors just opened in a different direction, even if you feel like they're not going to," Henderson said. "Go after everything you've ever wanted, because you only live once, and you don't want to have regrets. It's going to be hard, but sometimes it doesn't work out the way you thought it might, but you just have to pick up your pieces and keep moving."

Share and discuss “'Glee Project 2' star keeps shining, soon to release first EP” on social media.