Her view: Congress members need term limits

A protest in support of term limits for Congress took place outside the U.S. Capitol in March 2012. (Courtesy of Mark Wilson / Getty Images)

The people who fill the elite office of the presidency are limited to two terms; two terms filled with enacting changes and working diligently to solve the world's problems; two terms and then they are supposed to return to their life before the presidency.

The members of the United States House of Representatives and the United States Senate are not limited to only serving two terms. In fact, the Constitution contains absolutely no rules or limits in regard to the number of terms members of the House and Senate can serve.

During the Constitutional Convention of 1787, the men responsible for shaping the laws of this country did not see setting term limits as an important issue, not because they wanted to encourage the concept of career politicians, but because they couldn't imagine someone wanting to be a career politician.

Participating in politics was viewed as more of a public service. People served and then returned to their real careers to be valuable citizens.

Today, politics has turned into a full-time job. The pay has substantially increased, and the hours of work for some have decreased. Instead of having the daunting task of shaping the country, these men and women are just responsible for keeping it running.

Because there are no restrictions set on term limits for offices outside the presidency, senators and representatives of the 50 states spend more time planning their re-election campaigns than they do representing the people they depend on to be re-elected.

Not all career politicians have a negative impact on the government. John Adams worked in the government for more than 30 years. During that time, however, Adams worked on doing what he thought was right for the country. He did not care if it made him disliked.

Today, a majority of the politicians in the House and Senate are fearful of being disliked because of the way they vote on important issues. So, instead of taking a stand or enacting changes to help, politicians abstain from voting. They shy away from their responsibility as public servants to make decisions for the good of the people they represent.

Several attempts have already been made to establish term limits for senators and representatives.

Unsurprisingly, they have all failed. Getting career politicians to make something a law that negatively affects their livelihood would be like getting a baby to wash, feed and clothe itself.

The greed of these politicians is destroying the morals this country was founded upon.

Several organizations, such as U.S. Term Limits and Citizens for Term Limits, advocate establishing term limits for government members to avoid career politicians.

However, until the members of the government themselves vote to create a law containing term limits, these attempts will remain fruitless.

Sure, they'll vote on their salaries. They'll participate in backdoor deals and focus on their campaigns. But passing a law that limits their careers in the government is not high on their list of priorities.

In order for this to change, the people these men and women represent need to stand up together and say they want a change.

People have the power to enact change. For example, a recent "60 Minutes" investigation revealed Congress members were using non-public information on the stock market gathered during their time on the Hill to buy and trade stocks.

After the segment ran, President Obama called for the STOCK Act, or the Stop Trading on Congressional Knowledge Act, to be passed, which prevents members of Congress from using insider information to better their own bank accounts.

The act passed in April 2012, and it represents the power the public has over the people representing it.

Politicians need to be called out on their actions, and until more people do, career politicians will remain a part of the American government.

Share and discuss “Her view: Congress members need term limits” on social media.