Letter to the editor: Miss Homecoming, no one cares about you

With almost half of this football season under wraps, we are inching closer and closer to one the most talked-about football games of the season: homecoming.

\0x1DThis game is a time for former Auburn students to come back to the Plains to reconnect with old friends, and a time for current students to create new memories by enjoying all the festivities that accompany this week. Growing up in the Opelika/Auburn area, I have watched the flocks of Tiger fans crowd Jordan-Hare for an exciting football game we are sure to win. As we watch our athletes play their hearts out on the field, students also watch another competition: the homecoming queen race.

\0x1DThe pomp and circumstance of homecoming week is fun, but I do not truly understand or value the Miss Homecoming aspect. Some might argue that the Miss Homecoming race is the most important part of the homecoming festivities, but I beg to differ.

All the hype has me wondering, "Who really cares about Miss Homecoming?"

\0x1DThis may seem insensitive, but if you aren't in a sorority or if you do not personally know the Miss Homecoming candidates, who is paying attention? Most students do not go out of their way to learn about the candidates or their platforms.

During homecoming week, most students infamously avoid the Concourse to avoid being bombarded by Miss Homecoming candidates and their sisters wearing brightly colored T shirts, giving out trivial goodies. For the person not lucky enough to avoid the Concourse, he follows the simple rules to avoid being bothered: pull out his phone, keep his head down and avoid all eye contact at all costs.

Sadly, after all the candidates' arduous efforts, most students will not even vote. I am not saying we need to get rid of the Miss Homecoming competition, because doing so would rid Auburn of an engraved tradition.

Miss Homecoming candidates do, however, need to be mindful that the majority of the student body does not give a crap about them. I urge all of this year's Miss Homecoming candidates to go up, above and beyond to show why the student body should pay attention to the homecoming queen race. \0x1DThey need to explain why the "Average Joe" student needs to be invested in their platform.

Once selected, the future crown-holder needs to publicize her progress throughout the school year. It seems as though there is a lot of attention given to the newly crowned winner the week after homecoming, and then it is as if Miss Homecoming completely disappears, because we hear nothing about her until the next school year, when it is time to vote again.

Until one of these ladies really stands out to me, I will blend into the mass of Auburn students who show no interest. I will do my best to avoid the Concourse, but if I'm unlucky, I'll pull out my phone, keep my head down and avoid eye contact, and homecoming season will be over before I know it.

Quentin Torbert

Junior

Business Management

Share and discuss “Letter to the editor: Miss Homecoming, no one cares about you” on social media.