Fire Dept. still employing halt on city fires

The Auburn Fire Dept. is stopping all open burning permits due to a Red Flag from the NWS. (Emily Morris / ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR)

The Auburn Fire Department is making sure no one is burning down the house.

Because of a Red Flag Warning issued by the National Weather Service, the Auburn Fire Department decided to suspend all open burning permits until further notice, said Deputy Fire Chief Rodney Hartsfield of the Auburn Fire Division.

"Because of the lack of rain we've had, the very low humidity and low fuel moisture, which means everything is very dry, we felt it necessary to go ahead and issue a no burn," Hartsfield said. "That means we're not going to be writing any burn permits or allowing any open burning until conditions change."

Effective since Monday, Oct. 29, the "no burn order" is not likely to be revoked until conditions return to favorable.

"When all that happens, all the fuel, not gasoline, but leaves and limbs and brush, gets really dry and brittle," Hartsfield said. "Because of that, if a fire starts, it spreads rapidly. It grows really big, quick. It was necessary based off the Red Flag Warning, and our current conditions; just wanting to be proactive, we issued a no burn until conditions change."

The NWS issues a Red Flag Warning when it thinks the conditions are favorable for fires to grow rapidly and get out of hand in a city or town.

"If a citizen wishes to burn on their property, leaves, limbs or things like that, they contact us and we come out and inspect that site," Hartsfield said. "There's certain criteria that they have to adhere to before they're allowed to burn, and if they adhere to all of it, then we write them a burn permit."

The criteria for a burn permit is that the fire has to be 500 feet from any building or structure and citizens are only allowed to burn things such as leaves and limbs. Citizens are not permitted to burn trash.

Hartsfield said when someone has a burn permit, it means the fire department has inspected their area and approved them to burn; however, they have to call the fire department for approval before they light a fire.

This does not apply to all outdoor fires, however.

"Things like grills, outdoor fire places, things people purchase at the store, things of that nature don't fall into this category because they're going to be burning in equipment designed to keep the fire contained," Hartsfield said.

This is not the first time the Auburn Fire Department has suspended open burning.

Whenever the conditions are unfavorable to fire containment, it is suspended to protect the community, Hartsfield said.

"Our overall concern is the safety of the community and the citizens and protecting the property," Hartsfield said. "When we feel it necessary based off weather conditions, we make this decision."

Once conditions improve, Hartsfield said the Fire Department will end the suspension and allow open burning again, but until then the ban is in the best interests of the community.

"As soon as weather conditions change and we get some rain in, we'll lift the no burn," Hartsfield said. "But right now, we feel it is safer for the community as a whole if we don't allow it."

Share and discuss “Fire Dept. still employing halt on city fires” on social media.