Art professor encourages creative voice through student works

Wendy Deschene, tenured professor in the art department, displays student Kathryn Beck's senior studio project. (Courtesy of Wendy Deschene)

As an art professor, Wendy Deschene helps students to creatively express themselves in a variety of forms.

Deschene teaches painting, drawing and intermediate art classes.

Her main goal, as well as her biggest challenge as a professor, is encouraging students to choose for themselves what art means to them.

"The hardest part about being an art teacher is getting students to be who they're going to be--to have a voice," Deschene said.

While this may be the hardest part of teaching for Deschene, it's also proven to be the best.

"When (students) clearly saying something that's true, close to their heart and something they're passionate about, and that they have the skills to do it well--that's the most rewarding part of my job," Deschene said.

"We don't want all art to look alike, and we want all the art in the world to have something to say, and hopefully what the art says is a reflection of the people making it," Deschene said.

She believes it takes a lot of hard work from students who plan to graduate with a Bachelor in fine art.

"It is hard. It's like for anything that is going to end up as a career, it takes work and it takes dedication--if you're in it and you're not dedicated to it, then it's going to be a lot harder than if you really love it," Deschene said.

And if you love something, Deschene said it's easy to dedicate yourself to it.

Additionally, she believes everyone should take an art class at some point just to see what it's like. Deschene said that many people haven't had the opportunity to take art classes, so they don't know if it's something they would want to be dedicated to or not.

Deschene said she feels that much of what she teaches is practical and hands on, and the students prove they've learned the material by doing it.

"In art history, there are exams, papers and all the things you would expect in any history course," Deschene said. "In studio art, the projects are based on the studio--if it's a drawing class, the final project is based on the creation of a drawing where you use or show the teacher all the things that you learned."

Deschene also keeps in touch with many of her students after they leave Auburn because of the close relationships they form with one another over the years.

Deschene said that the professors work closely with the students because they are encouraging students to become who they are.

"After spending four years with them, we get to know them and they get to know us," Deschene said.

She added that a couple of her former students are interning or working in museums or art galleries, some have started their own galleries, some plan to be artists and one is working as a jewelry maker.

There are many job opportunities available to those with a BFA, and Deschene said she believes that to be the biggest misconception about the art program.

"A BFA is a creative degree," Deschene said. "It doesn't necessarily mean that you're going to be an artist, but it means that you are trained to be a creative thinker, and tons of jobs in the world want creative thinkers."

She added that those graduating with this degree can go on to receive their masters and move into many different fields from there.

Deschene said that receiving a Masters in fine art is very desired for anyone attempting to become an artist or a professor of art.

As for the future, Deschene plans to stay where she is--at least for a while.

"At this moment, I'm a tenured professor at Auburn," Deschene said. "That means I can dedicate myself to my work and research, and keeping the students who I think are fantastic."

Deschene said she will stay in Auburn while she continues to work on her international and national art project.

Share and discuss “Art professor encourages creative voice through student works” on social media.