Malzahn seeks a top 10 class

Malzahn pumps fans up at the Ole Miss basketball game Saturday, Jan. 26. (Courtesy of Todd Van Emst)

With only a week left until National Signing Day on Feb. 6, the Tigers have built an impressive 2013 class ranked No. 13 in the nation by Rivals.com. With top targets and commits visiting the Plains this weekend, Auburn hopes to continue their momentum after multiple flips from rival SEC schools earlier this week.

After co-offensive coordinator Dameyune Craig and company managed to flip 4-star wide receiver Tony Stevens from Texas A&M, the Tigers' super crew of recruiting have gained four new commitments, three flipping from other programs. Khari Harding, Kenny Flowers, Dominic Walker and Marcus Davis all pledged to play football at Auburn over the week and numerous high rated recruits have the Tigers moving up on their list of choices as well.

After an official visit last weekend from ESPN's No. 4 overall ranked five-star Mackensie Alexander, a defensive back from Florida, the Tigers look to be moving up his commitment choice list. 24/7 Sports national recruiting director JC Shurburtt projects that Alexander will land at Auburn come Feb. 6. After his visit he told Auburn Undercover he was really impressed with the school and its coaches. A recruit of his caliber could ultimately change the entire 2013 class for the Tigers. If he commits on national signing day, a string of commitments could come the Tigers' way throughout the afternoon.

This upcoming weekend will feature a star-studded visiting group of players that includes five-star defensive tackle Montravius Adams, five-star defensive end and Auburn commit Carl Lawson, and five-star linebacker Reuben Foster. Having some of the nation's best high school players save their final official visit for Auburn says something about the quality of recruiting the new football staff has been doing recently. It will also benefit the Tigers because they have the chance to give the final pitch for many of these athletes before they sign next Wednesday.

After a hectic past week of recruiting across the country, Auburn has some new targets that are strongly considering the Tigers heading toward National Signing Day. A de-commitment from Vanderbilt by New Hope High School four-star running back Jonathan Ford puts Auburn at the top of the running for his talent followed by offers from Georgia and Florida State. He recently visited Auburn and soon de-committed from Vanderbilt.

Also a de-commitment from four -star offensive lineman Austin Golsen from Florida St. gives the Tigers a great chance of landing him on signing day. Originally Golsen was committed to visiting Auburn this upcoming weekend but has since backed out yet will continue to keep the Tigers at the top of his commitment list.

Khari Harding, a three-star defensive back from Oklahoma who committed to the Tigers Jan. 21 after flipping from Arkansas, is a strong physical playing safety that will be a great addition to the Tigers struggling defense. Four days later Auburn received commitments from two three-star recruits.

Wide receiver Dominic Walker flipped his commitment from Nebraska to Auburn.

"It was a very tough decision. They were [mad]. They were very mad. But I thought I had to call them like a real man should," Walker said to the Orlando Sentinel. "But yeah, they were mad. Coach Pelini said, 'Best of luck, you're going to need it.'"

The second commitment on Jan. 25 was JUCO linebacker Kenny Flowers, who pledged to the Tigers after flipping from Texas A&M. Flowers high school head coach told Rivals the tradition of Auburn history and football attracted him to the school along with its proximity to his home. He will be enrolled in classes in May.

Auburn's most recent commitment is from Delray Beach, Fla. three-star athlete Marcus Davis who could play a number of positions for the Tigers. After his official visit last weekend Davis said, "From the moment I got here, it feels like family. I'm committed to Auburn." Davis chose Auburn over Arkansas who he was going to visit on Feb.1 but has ended his recruitment saying he is 100 percent committed to Gus Malzahn and the Tigers.

Next week could be huge for Auburn after having some of the nation's best high school football players visit campus this weekend. Expect signing day to increase Auburn's 2013 class with potential five-star commitments and move them up the ranks in overall recruiting charts across the nation. Gus Malzahn and his assistants are looking to finish strong in the final week before Feb. 6.

Share and discuss “Malzahn seeks a top 10 class” on social media.