Pi Beta Phi launches 'Dodge the Arrow'

Pi Beta Phi's "Dodge the Arrow" inaugural dodgeball tournament will take place this Thursday, March 28 at 5 p.m. in the Student Activities Center.

All proceeds benefit Pi Phi's national philanthropy, Pi Beta Phi Foundation, as well as Pi Phi's literacy initiative, Read. Lead. Achieve., an initiative for a more literate society.

In the past, Pi Phi has put on a "Pi Fiesta" with music and food, but Pi Phi's vice president of philanthropy, Alexa Cox, said they wanted to try something fun and new.

"This year we wanted to change it up," Cox said. "We wanted to do something fun. Pi Phi chapters all over do 'Dodge the Arrow.' If it works well (in other places), then it will probably work well for us."

Cox is no stranger to raising money for a worthy cause, having raised nearly $2,000 her freshman year for Auburn's Dance Marathon. Pi Phi also volunteers weekly with the Boys and Girls Club to promote literacy.

The entry fee for anyone competing in the tournament is $15 a person, with teams of 8-10 people. Each team will play a minimum of three games, with best two out of three moving on to the finals. The winners for both men and women brackets receive a $200 donation to the charity of their choice.

The event is also open to all students and spectators who purchase a $5 wristband distributed by any Pi Phi member.

This year, without the usual benefit of spirit points, the incentive for Greek life to attend philanthropic events has decreased, Cox said. She hopes that this tournament will shake things up a bit and make people want to come out and be a part of the excitement, all while donating to a great cause.

"I know with the spirit points it will be tough this year, but I just thought it was a good idea and I wanted to get it out," Cox said. "And it will be fun!"

Tournament rules and team registration forms are available online on the "Dodge the Arrow" Facebook event page. Forms can be filled out and turned in to any Pi Phi or in the Pi Beta Phi mailbox in Suite 3130 in the Student Center. The deadline to register for a team is tonight, March 25, at midnight.

Share and discuss “Pi Beta Phi launches 'Dodge the Arrow'” on social media.