Updyke pleads guilty to poisoning Toomer's Oaks

Harvey Updyke
Harvey Updyke

Harvey Updyke has plead guilty to poisoning the Toomer's Oaks. Updyke revoked his not guilty plea by reason of mental disease or defect and plead guilty to Criminal Damage to an Agricultural facility, a class c felony.

Lee County District Attorney Robbie Treese announced Updyke's plead today in a press release.

"We have a significant number of violent felonies awaiting trial in Lee County and I could not in good conscience justify financing a three-week trial merely to arrive at no better a resolution," Treese said in the release.

According to the press release, Updyke was sentenced to three years in jail and will remain incarcerated until he has served at least 6 months in jail.

After being released, Updyke will have five years of supervised probation, which includes a 7 p.m. curfew. Also, as a part of his probation, Updyke is banned from entering any property owned by Auburn, from attending any collegiate athletic events and from talking with the media.

"Whether or not Mr. Updyke can manage to stay on probation is up to him. Despite the destruction he has caused, no one is capable of diminishing the spirit of our community," Treese said.

Share and discuss “Updyke pleads guilty to poisoning Toomer's Oaks” on social media.